PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GrampaJoseph

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2024
Sacramento, California
I just bought myself a birth-year DUNHILL and was wondering if anyone knows the difference between shapes LB and LBS. I know the L stands for large, the B is for billiard… but, what is the “S” for? Online research turns up 2 possibilities: Slender (meaning the shank is less beefy), or Special (where the shank is longer). Also, my pipe has SP below the 4R. Any ideas what’s up with that! I can’t find anything in pipedia about an SP stamp below group size and finish on a 1961 DUNHILL.Auction Details

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I’m going to backpedal on this one. It’s true that “slender” is the consensus I’ve heard from most experts, but I’m interested to see what other knowledgeable people have to say. Mike Hagley, who has forgotten more about pipes than most of us will ever know, posted this to a Google group almost 22 years ago:

LB was one of the Quaint shapes that Dunhill introduced years and years ago. Other Quaint shapes were K, EK, US and others so marked with a alpha shape designation, as opposed to a numerical shape designation, such as 40, 59, 60, 120, 127, etc. It is largely believed that LB stood for large billiard, however even Dunhill cannot confirm that (I have letters from them in which they claim they do not know what LB originally stood for, although they suggested that large billiard sounded reasonable).

A certain amount of mystery absolutely remains regarding the origin and explanation behind most Dunhill alpha shape codes, so perhaps the whole Large Billiard thing is plausible guess hardened over time into meretricious certainty. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen that happen.

Last edited:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I’m going to backpedal on this one. It’s true that “slender” is the consensus I’ve heard from most experts, but I’m interested to see what other knowledgeable people have to say. Mike Hagley, who has forgotten more about pipes than most of us will ever know, posted this to a Google group almost 22 years ago:

LB was one of the Quaint shapes that Dunhill introduced years and years ago. Other Quaint shapes were K, EK, US and others so marked with a alpha shape designation, as opposed to a numerical shape designation, such as 40, 59, 60, 120, 127, etc. It is largely believed that LB stood for large billiard, however even Dunhill cannot confirm that (I have letters from them in which they claim they do not know what LB originally stood for, although they suggested that large billiard sounded reasonable).

A certain amount of mystery absolutely remains regarding the origin and explanation behind most Dunhill alpha shape codes, so perhaps the whole Large Billiard thing is plausible guess hardened over time into meretricious certainty. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen that happen.
As an aside, Mike Hagley sold me a stunning Peterson 9s from his extensive collection probably a decade+ ago. Ran into him on another forum. Think he was a tad eccentric. :)

Reactions: GrampaJoseph

GrampaJoseph

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2024
Sacramento, California
A certain amount of mystery absolutely remains
...yet, I'm very satisfied with that answer! Thank you very much! bdw
Now I know the hard fact is that LBS is a variant of the LB quaint shape. More than that is unverifiable conjecture, but expert consensus (correct me if I'm wrong) is based on examination of the empirical evidence - that these are large billiards, the S variant having a more slender shank. Good to know. puffy
...if it also has a longer shank, that would account for the other view. 🤔

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I just bought myself a birth-year DUNHILL and was wondering if anyone knows the difference between shapes LB and LBS. I know the L stands for large, the B is for billiard… but, what is the “S” for? Online research turns up 2 possibilities: Slender (meaning the shank is less beefy), or Special (where the shank is longer). Also, my pipe has SP below the 4R. Any ideas what’s up with that! I can’t find anything in pipedia about an SP stamp below group size and finish on a 1961 DUNHILL.Auction Details
And a very good example of a LB too, @GrampaJoseph . Nice win! 👍

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Pics or it didn't happen! Thems the rules! puffy

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I always thought it was LBS(addle) :ROFLMAO:
A Dunhill with a saddle stem was given a 6 stamp, but you of course know that :)
On some shape models a saddle stem was quite rare.
I own two unsmoked and unsullied 1967 Tanshell billiards ; pitch black stems, never seen the light of day .
One with such a stamp and a saddle mouthpiece .
According to some the SP stamp was for pipes with a Special grain quality briar.
And since Dunhill was rather indefferent about grain, well.....

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Congrats sir. That is a fair price for a stunning beautiful Dunhill Root from a good period.
I'm a sucker for the packaging.
The grain on this one is excellent, well done.
Glad it was won by one of your forum members.
Rodrigo is always cherry picking, this pipes never disappointed me and he's a fine seller to purchase from.
I was eying this one too :)

Last edited: