PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Closing on my second tin of this, and it's much better than the first time around.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I am not a huge advocate of aging and generally prefer blend when fresh. I know, I'm weird. But there you have it.
That said, I think both this and the new Three Nuns are packed a bit too "green". I had a similar experience, first can kinda underwhelming, then a month later cracked another and it was pretty good. I'll have to get around to cracking a third to see if there was more improvement. I realize a month isn't a ton of time but the differences were rather pronounced.

300e

Lurker
Feb 26, 2013
Really like the "new" Dunhill blends by Orlick, but this one didn't do much for me. I've got two or three more tins in the cellar so I'm letting them sit for a year or so. If the second tin doesn't strike my fancy I'll trade the balance off to one of you guys. I'm more of an English/Balkan guy, although I still enjoy certain VaPers.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I haven't smoked my pipe in 8 years! I only have 2 more years to wait until my tobacco is aged and I almost can't wait, but I guess I will have to.
Hope I don't get run over by a public transportation bus before I finally get to enjoy my hoardings.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
An interesting read guys. I love VaPers and have to push myself to spin some English into my rotation for variety, learning and discipline. My preferred blends are DNR and HU Directors and Edward G, none of which are really cut for lunting, so I was delighted to find that Elizabethan is thin ribbon-cut and so ideal for packing, control, and crowd-pleasing while walking. Unfortunately, I confess I didn't like it too much. Like fishingandpipes, I found the blend a bit green and acidic from the getgo and even subsequent bowls didn't give me the tastes I associate with VaPers. In the end I gave the rest of the tin to Chris (Transmutated), who apparently enjoyed it! Given all taste is personal and I usually smoke 'stronger' VaPers, I think this is more about me than the Elizabethan, but I still can't see this blend being a top VaPer. I think that Parker has it right - more Perique, please.
Andy

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I really enjoy EM. I think it's one of the more underrated Dunhill blends. EMP or Nightcap seem to get all the glory.
A nice bowl of EM on a cold winter morning with a black cup of coffee...nothing beats that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still "holding" on my tin of Elizabethan on the basis that Va/Pers reward aging, though I don't expect to resist it for years.

I have a stash of tins and am working on a variety of bulk blends that I have in small quantities, in jars or baggies (for small

quantities). I'm intrigued by McClellands Carolina Deluxe 805, another Va., and I may order that bulk and jar it, in sample

quantity.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I tried the Elizabethan Mixture once if thats the one with the brown tin with the weird stringy grated coconut tobacco thing going on. It just didn't do anything for me and I have read rave reviews about this tobacco. I guess I am missing something with this blend.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
dread said:

I almost didn't try it because it received such lukewarm reviews -

Unless I know the reviewer and how his taste compares to mine, I totally ignore reviews ... chances are, whatever they have to say, for good or for bad, will bear no resemblance to my eventual opinion ...
This is bearing out to be my opinion at this point!

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
andystewart - Yep, I like it a lot, thanks.

Dunhill seem to make perfect tobaccos.

In the 5 months I've been pipe smoking, I have found each of the Dunhill blends that I've tried faultless and phenomenal.

Not trying to be controversial but...I actually prefer Elizabethan Mixture to the Navy Rolls (of course I'm also a massive fan of the Deluxe Navy Rolls).

The only tobacco I've tried that I haven't enjoyed is St Bruno.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
. I almost didn't try it because it received such lukewarm reviews
Yeah I take reviews with a grain of salt, like tobacco reviews most of the people are smoking a blend to wet and then complaining it burns their mouth etc... And it's too hard to stay lit. It's the review site I use the most still and can usually pick through the reviews of people who know how to smoke a pipe and people who don't.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I love EM, and all old Dunhill blends... some pics of my old tins.....and my whisky cabinet too....
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad243/mkiss1967/IMG_3083_zps14a81822.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad243/mkiss1967/IMG_3081_zps2980ecad.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad243/mkiss1967/IMG_3079_zpsb2660ab5.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad243/mkiss1967/IMG_3074_zpsd6eb555d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.