PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Hello Friends,
I am currently drying out some LJ Peretti BPC for a smoke this afternoon. I was wondering, do any of you dry out all of your tobacco once you plan on working through that tin/jar? BPC is one that is kind of a pain for me because of the big cube-cut, but I love it. I was thinking about getting the whole jar dried out and rubbed out/crushed or whatever you call it with cubes (lol) at once. Thanks in advance for the advice!

do any of you dry out all of your tobacco once you plan on working through that tin/jar?
Welcome Back Kotter Kotter GIF - Welcome Back Kotter Kotter Horshak -  Discover & Share GIFs

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't dry out an entire tin at one time, only what I'm going to smoke on a given day.

If I have a moist tobacco, I'll usually put some on a plate (what I plan to smoke at that given time), and let it sit out for a bit before smoking it. If I have something that is going to take longer to dry out, then I'll set that on a plate and maybe leave it out all day. For example, I'll put it on the plate that morning and enjoy it that evening.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Depends on the tobacco. If it is coated in PG, then I'll put paper towels down on a baking pan, dump it all out then put another paper towel over it and let it dry for 3-7 days depending on the dampness. I'll jar it up when it has just a little bit of moisture left in it. This way, when I want to smoke, I rarely have to let it sit out, I can just stuff and puff.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive found that ready rub sometimes needs rubbing, if not still some drying or its a battle to keep lit, even if I pack light. Ive started drying things a bit. I have a little pyrex dish where I have a light bulb that is about 6 or 8 inches from it (since its winter). This makes fairly quick work of drying it out a bit. im still in the experimental stages. Like Mike, If it is an aromatic it can dry a long time.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't dry out an entire tin at one time, only what I'm going to smoke on a given day.

If I have a moist tobacco, I'll usually put some on a plate (what I plan to smoke at that given time), and let it sit out for a bit before smoking it. If I have something that is going to take longer to dry out, then I'll set that on a plate and maybe leave it out all day. For example, I'll put it on the plate that morning and enjoy it that evening.
This is almost exactly what I do. Depends on the blend, but typically takes at least a few hours.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I don't dry out an entire tin at one time since I have a large rotation to go through. I dry out one bowlful at a time. More importantly, I live in a humid climate, so drying out an entire tin is kinda a waste of time.

Pipercat

Lurker
Aug 14, 2023
Working that out myself. Keep trying to remind myself to start a journal. Currently smoking SPC Rum Vannila and definitely a difference between dry and striat out of the tin. Dry has more of a vanilla, wet I am definitely tasting the rum. Gotta be very gentle and sip it wet, but this one is going to go towards the wet side for me.

Same with flake vs. rubbing out. Some are better rubbed out, others I like folded.

Just have to experiment a bit to get the best flavor out of each blend.

Dry is easier to smoke, and usually behaves better, but wet and/or folded gives more flavor, at least in my limited experience.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is big deal to me because I only have two-ounce tins. I may dry out a bowl full by leaving that amount of tobacco out for an hour but usually I don't bother.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I'll put a whole tin's contents into a jar and leave the lid off (or slightly askew) until the tobacco is crispy on top. Might take a day or three depending. (A piece of paper towel over the top can help keep out any dust, spores etc.) Then I seal it and leave it for a week or so, to let the humidity equalize. Then I try smoking it, and if it's still too moist I repeat the process until I get the humidity where I want it, and then just keep it sealed in the jar. That way it's ready to smoke immediately out of the jar. No wet smokes. No waiting for hours or resorting to the microwave etc.

[edit: Not that there's anything wrong with microwaving your tobacco! 5 to 10 seconds at time is best.]

Reactions: Indygrap

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Briar Fox, Pegasus and Old Joe Krantz blue. All 3 get dried before refilling. Always ready to smoke.
1000003513.jpg

This jar's seal dried up years ago, so I can put Carter Hall in it, and not have to mess with it. Dries on its own.
1000003514.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Briar Fox, Pegasus and Old Joe Krantz blue. All 3 get dried before refilling. Always ready to smoke.
View attachment 298194

This jar's seal dried up years ago, so I can put Carter Hall in it, and not have to mess with it. Dries on its own.
View attachment 298195
My Decatur like that has one of my codger blends (1Q/Sunset Rum/Windsor 805 Match) sitting in it for the past 14 months in AZ’s dry climate. Feels and smokes the same as it did at 1 month.

I too will leave a jar cracked til the top is right, then mix it up and take from at will.

I do put a half a dozen 10-15gr of tobak into Snus tins and carry them through the week, if they don’t get smoked they’ll get returned to jars they came from and always rebalance moisture-wise.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Decatur like that has one of my codger blends (1Q/Sunset Rum/Windsor 805 Match) sitting in it for the past 14 months in AZ’s dry climate. Feels and smokes the same as it did at 1 month.

I too will leave a jar cracked til the top is right, then mix it up and take from at will.

I do put a half a dozen 10-15gr of tobak into Snus tins and carry them through the week, if they don’t get smoked they’ll get returned to jars they came from and always rebalance moisture-wise.
My stokers tubs come with the little plastic tin. Those are perfect for pipe tobacco.