PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I'm glad that many of you can "stall" falling objects. I have a nasty habit of trying to kick it back up mid fall...no doubt it's from my soccer playing days in high school.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Like trail boss said above, some things you definitely don't want to catch on the way down. Like guns, sharp kitchen knives just have to land where the may. Have a ding in the blade of a 10-inch Wusthof chef knife but still have all my fingers. Keep having pipes shoot out of my fingers when polishing them with a Dunhill cloth after smoking. No damage yet. Have to get me some Ninja skils, but remember to keep them out of the kitchen lol.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
A good friend's wife obeyed the "no catching knives or guns" rule when she dropped a filet knife while cleaning some fish on the dock that they had just brought in from a fishing trip. Unfortunately for her, the rubber grip on fish filet knives has the properties of a rubber ball and it bounced when it hit the dock and lodged the knife about an inch into her calve. Sometimes luck just isn't on your side, even when you obey tried-and-true rules.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I still remember when I was young when my dad tried to grab a can of soup that fell off the cabinet mounted powered can opener. Sliced his palm open, I think he got 12 stitches. Thing is, he decided to wait for my mom to come home, so he wouldn't have to take me and my younger brother to the hospital with him. I think he learned his lesson, and also bought a manual can opener after that.
As far as dropping knives and guns, I understand that accidents happen, but really? You're holding something that has the potential to kill or seriously injure, and you drop it? Sounds like some people don't give knives or firearms the attention and respect they deserve. *knock wood* never dropped anything like that myself. Sorry, don't mean to bust anyone's stones.
I have dropped a pipe before, but it was a basket pipe. Got a nice dent in it, but it still smokes fine. glad it wasn't one of my nicer briars

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Like Bryan, I smoke and drink. Though when I drink I do drink excessively, which at the moment seems to be all the time. I'm a student after all. Well I have dropped many of my pipes, even the expensive ones. Fortunately it seems that they have only been dropped whilst i have been in a slumber, thus having no scratches at all. It certainly something that causes some upset when it happens, but its good that you were able to catch it. Even if you did get hot ash on your hand. I tend to get hot ash on my hands all the time, without even dropping pipes, i'm that clumsy.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Good point, trailboss. I guess I was just referring to my own personal experiences, which haven't involved anything more than hunting or target shooting, so in a more relaxed atmosphere.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
About 15 years ago I was bringing in a small tin boat with an outboard motor after fishing. The water was really rough and I decided to catch the dock with my hand to slow the boat down. Well the wave changed and pulled the boat away from the dock and me, my pipe, my tobacco pouch and my wallet all went over the side between the dock and the boat. Lesson learned had I just let the motor do the work I would have been high and dry and not ruined a pouch of tobacco. I also learned that pipes float though I prefer when they don't get wet at all.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I just got my new Vauen Classic 4415, and before I even get to smoke it, I accidentally dropped the bowl part of the pipe on my hard floor, because I didn't fastened it to the stem properly before I picked it up. It hit the floor quite hard and bounced a few times. The annoying thing is since the pipe is sandblasted, I can't tell if some of the uneven bits on the surface were already there or damages from drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.