PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Yes my question was answered!! I also upon further reading realized I may not of properly cleaned my estate pipes

Which could be causing bad taste and there fore more saliva/ spitting so I did a salt treatment on all of my pipes over the last few days

And that has reduced it some as well!! And I have worked on drying my tobacco more! Also helped some!!

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
And bonus clean pies equal fresher taste and dryer tobacco equals cooler smoke and more flavor!!

So in short if one is not afraid to ask questions and comb thru previous posts. There is a wealth of knowledge

On this forum. Thank you to all who respond to my questions even though some may seem dumb lol

mikejr

Lurker
Feb 17, 2019
Perhaps my tobacco is too moist. I don't know if it is or saliva running down the stem, but there is a lot of annotmying moisture. I've always assumed it was saliva. After reading these posts now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know how to yell which it is? Also, how do I know when the tobacco is dry enough fot a cool, dry smoke? Thanks.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Fun Fact Of The Day -
* This one should make you wet smokers feel better - "During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two 10 ft. x 10 ft. x 10 ft. swimming pools." (Source: The Internet) :puffpipe:

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and dcicero

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perhaps my tobacco is too moist. I don't know if it is or saliva running down the stem, but there is a lot of annotmying moisture. I've always assumed it was saliva. After reading these posts now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know how to yell which it is? Also, how do I know when the tobacco is dry enough fot a cool, dry smoke? Thanks.
Sure. Take a freshly loaded bowl. Sit down and light it up. Pay attention, and keep the bowl higher than the bit.
I really doubt many actually drool down their stems.

Reactions: BROBS

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I had that problem until I finally learned to quit "puffing" and just breathe through my nose only without drawing in through the mouth hardly at all...except very small occasional sips. Then the saliva stopped flowing.
I think this insight is just what I needed.

Reactions: BROBS

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for all the helpful advice!! I have not mastered clenching it just don’t feel natural

Therefore I hold it 90% of the time!! You may be on to something with drying, I’m still learning

How to tell by feel if it’s dry enough. It’s definately not spit going down stem it’s moisture accumulating

I’m running a pipe cleaner or two mid bowl. I would think it’s dry enough as I don’t need any delights unless

Wifey and I are chatting and I let it go out most of the time. But I’m still getting bit once in a while

And with the extra moisture it tells me it’s not dry enough!!
I've not noticed excessive saliva when smoking a pipe but maybe that's because I don't clench [except for a moment when I need two hands when driving] I just can't stand the taste of tar from excessive moisture.

Bent pipes tend to collect more moisture than straight stems, especially aromatics that tend to be a bit moist.
Dry your tobacco but not to the point of crispy or you'll lose flavour.
Filters would absorb excessive moisture rather quickly I'd imagine but it's worth a try.
Straight stemmed pipes with smaller bowls would help until you've got a hang of right moisture content of your tobacco, packing and technique.

Consider getting a Falcon pipe and use a 'dry ring' that fits beneath the bowl [The dry rings are not really a filter but are designed to soak up tar and excessive moisture - I make my own from pipe filters]
Falcons give a dry smoke and usually come with smaller bowls.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Does it go away in time? I’m going on week 3 and it seems to be easing up some especially with non aromatics!

It seems that I spit more smoking a pipe ( espesially if I clench ) than I did when I used to chew tobacco lol?
When I experience excessive saliva during pipe smoking, I have figured out that it is due to one of the following reasons (in order of most to least likely):
  1. Technique - Smoking too fast; puffing rather than sipping
  2. Tobacco - Pure or high amount of Virginia is very acidic for me; exacerbated by item #1
  3. Nicotine - Strong blends aren't for me; nicotine effects are exacerbated by item #1
Hope this helps!