PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've got an old Linkman's Hollycourt pipe that I cleaned up and am afraid to use because of it's age. It doesn't say Grabow on it. The "Linkman Hollycourt" is real hard to see. How do you feel about using a pipe from the 1940's? Should I use it or keep it clean as a nod to the past?View attachment 24937
I've smoked mine several times over the past 6 months. It doesn't see action very often and I've kept it mostly because of the age and history. It sits in a case next to my Salmon & Gluckstein pipe (hallmarked for 1896) and an early transition Kirsten from approximately 1953).

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being a long-time North Carolinian, since 1972, after growing up in the Chicago area, I am proud of the pipe makers of Sparta, N.C. and their tradition of making fine pipes at working man's prices. I especially like their Royalton series with acrylic stems, and the bulldog in particular. It's a little hard to track, but I believe they are one of the largest, or perhaps the largest U.S. factory briar pipe maker. When I smoke my Dr. Grabow's, I can feel the pride of workmanship.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've got an old Linkman's Hollycourt pipe that I cleaned up and am afraid to use because of it's age. It doesn't say Grabow on it. The "Linkman Hollycourt" is real hard to see. How do you feel about using a pipe from the 1940's? Should I use it or keep it clean as a nod to the past?View attachment 24937
I've got a patent era Linkman's Dr Grabow that I smoke quite often.

20180624_054704-1.jpg

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I've got a patent era Linkman's Dr Grabow that I smoke quite often.

View attachment 24961
I'm still a bit of a newbie and am afraid of burning the topside like I've done on all my cobs and a couple of briars. I do try to be careful...but I'm a flame slob at the moment. I may fire it up at some point.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm still a bit of a newbie and am afraid of burning the topside like I've done on all my cobs and a couple of briars. I do try to be careful...but I'm a flame slob at this point. I may fire it up at some point.
How long are you holding the flame to the tobacco? It only takes less than a second really. Here's the rim of a pipe I've had since, '92.

20200320_214712.jpg

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
How long are you holding the flame to the tobacco? It only takes less than a second really. Here's the rim of a pipe I've had since, '92.

View attachment 24967
That thing is beautiful. I'm holding flame probably 10-15 seconds. Longer if it's windy out. Also, I've only seen one other human actually smoke a pipe and he was a newbie too. So I don't have much modeling to follow.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I have one of my great grandfather's Linkmans Dr Grabows. It's a beautiful pipe, but it needed severe stem work. I tried to send it in, but was told that the threaded tenon portion was seized to the stem, and the only way he could get it out was to "unscrew" the whole thing from the shank portion. I wish I would have gotten some second opinions because I feel the pipe is ruined now.
Ouch. You sent in to the factory? I hope it wasn't them. If they did botch it up contact me, I'll get in touch with someone. You have pictures of the damage?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ouch. You sent in to the factory? I hope it wasn't them. If they did botch it up contact me, I'll get in touch with someone. You have pictures of the damage?
No I sent it to an outside source. I'll get pictures soon, but the tenon Portion of the stinger was removed and lost. So the shank is much wider and threaded and won't fit a normal stem. I'm not even sure if the wood is damaged or if I can get another stem for it...

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
If this is turning into a Dr. Grabow appreciation thread, could some more informed members please give me some more info on this one I just got?
link
The pipedia page is a little soft on information on the pipe shapes and dates.
What information are you seeking? Looks like a shape number 60, medium Bulldog/Rhodesian. All Duke lines are filtered, they started in the mid 50s. Golden Duke line started in '64, Grabow switched over to ABS plastic stem in the 80s/90s, yours is Vulcanite so it's from somewhere between '64 and the 80s. Would have ran you $4.95 when new.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
How do you feel about using a pipe from the 1940's? Should I use it or keep it clean as a nod to the past?

I have a couple dozen “Pipe by Lee” pipes from the 1940s-50s (and another dozen or so from their later 60s production). They’re all great smokers in active rotation. With proper care/cleaning, smoking yours is the best ”nod to the past” you can make.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What information are you seeking? Looks like a shape number 60, medium Bulldog/Rhodesian. All Duke lines are filtered, they started in the mid 50s. Golden Duke line started in '64, Grabow switched over to ABS plastic stem in the 80s/90s, yours is Vulcanite so it's from somewhere between '64 and the 80s. Would have ran you $4.95 when new.

Yes that's what I found too. That pipe has since been cleaned up and gifted to @scloyd

Reactions: scloyd

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a toss of the coin, to pick up an old thread or start a new one. I think this worked out okay, but you can always start a new thread with a title narrowing to your specific question. Either works. If a thread is very long to read, I usually start a new one and try to give it a specific scope.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have this Linkman 8487. Most of my favorite pipes are older Grabows.
EZIOqhk.jpg
that is the first grabow I've seen that I really think looks nice. The current ones don't fit my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.