PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just received my Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog from Tobaccopipes.com. It comes home to two other bulldogs,

a Joh's straight partly rusticated that cost over twice as much, and a Peterson bent Around the World Series (Ireland)

that cost three times as much. The Dr. Grabow has an acrylic stem in golden brow with swirls and a smooth

bowl with no groove. It's a little longer than either of the others. I think it can hold its own. It's the first pipe

I've bought that came in a plastic package. I'm used to the fabric bag inside a brand name box. The plastic

package has instructions for breaking it in on the outside (the standard partial bowl routine) which I plan to

follow. Sometimes a step down in gradeur is a good thing. Maybe a Kaywoodie and Medico in the future.

Aug 21, 2011
I have always liked my Dr. Grabow's. To me they are a great value. I also have an old, old briar Medico from the 1970"s that is still one of my fav's. I just received a new Dr. G Omega full bent rustic. Only smoked it 6 -7 times, but I am enjoying it. I like that it's made in No. Carolina. Enjoy your bulldog. rob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I really value U.S. pipes, while I do enjoy my Irish, Italian, Danish, English ones. I have four from a N.C. artisan carver,

one of which I'm smoking right now. The carver is Jerry Perry, and the pipe is a poker/pot/sitter of Mountain

Laurel, that I bought from him at the N.C. State Fair in 2002. But the machine made pipes have their own special

charm. I might have to have a Yellow Bole and/or a Kaywoodie, and maybe another Dr. Grabow, but I try to reign

it in, to not own pipes I don't smoke on a regular basis. The Royalton bulldog smokes great and is so light and

solid, and simple in design. Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C. takes full advantage of making the same pipe over and

over and rather than letting it become slapdash, they hone their product and create some nifty subtle curves

and nuance to the bowl. I think the people who work there must love the product, and I suspect they collect and

smoke their own pipes; that's the feeling they give. I just don't want to praise them up too much for fear they'll raise

the prices before I get back for another. I hope to get up there and visit the factory at Sparta some time.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Ive got 3 Grabows, including a royalton, and love them all. They are a great value, and smoke quite well. Congrats, and Enjoy!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I, too, have the same Royalton, dedicated to straight Virginia blends. Surely the Royalton is the best of their line. I would recommend the Dr.Grabow Starfire line as well, very well made an nicely stained. I have a Starfire dedicated for flakes: a pickaxe shape with a tall, narrow bowl. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rigmedic1, I'll keep an eye out for the Starfire line. I've kept my eye out online. Do you know if Dr. Grabow is making Starfire,

or is this something I'd buy as an estate pipe? I don't think I've seen it at my regular online sites, the four or five I visit somewhat

regularly. Royalton does seem to be the best of their line.

mealston

Lurker
Mar 18, 2013
Blister paks to control total costs of production. I picked up a new grabow at the first of the year. She smokes all the way down- long and true. Long live the Grabow!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
rigmedic1, I'll keep an eye out for the Starfire line. I've kept my eye out online. Do you know if Dr. Grabow is making Starfire,

or is this something I'd buy as an estate pipe? I don't think I've seen it at my regular online sites, the four or five I visit somewhat

regularly. Royalton does seem to be the best of their line.
The Starfire hasn't been made for a number of years so you'll have to look for an estate pipe.Usually several of them on Ebag. You might also check out the Westbrooks,Viscounts,Regals,Eldorados etc. They all come in the same shapes the Starfire was available in,the difference being the finish and briar quality. The Starfire could be considered a mid level Grabow.

Status
Not open for further replies.