PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I now regret having started this thread about what was for me a very enjoyable pipe evening.
Tough crowd, eh? It’s the internets fault really. Although your ginger friends accent does seem to have caused most of the dissent. Perhaps he should enroll himself into a course of elocution lessons?
I think that mayor from the simpsons has got the best accent. If he was on YouTube talking about pipes & tobacco, even I’d tune in for that.

May 17, 2023
Indiana
Geez, I always think this is a friendly forum until this guy gets brought up. I am always surprised by how adversarial people are about his guy. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Seems like he is willing to admit his faults, willing to convert to a religion his family and culture are antithetical to, and willing to do so in a public forum. I think that speaks of a desire for humility I find admirable. I hope he continues in this path, and I will continue to pray for him and wish him the best.

and willing to do so in a public forum.
Something tells me that this guy can't do anything in private, except maybe dropping his fake accent.

But, my main jist is, what is going on in the minds of a pipe club organizer that would rather have a youtuber teach his club about blending than someone who actually knows something.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Tough crowd, eh? It’s the internets fault really. Although your ginger friends accent does seem to have caused most of the dissent. Perhaps he should enroll himself into a course of elocution lessons?
I think that mayor from the simpsons has got the best accent. If he was on YouTube talking about pipes & tobacco, even I’d tune in for that.
^ I love everything about this post. Esp. the Mayor Quimby reference.

• Haha
Reactions: simong
May 17, 2023
Indiana
Something tells me that this guy can't do anything in private, except maybe dropping his fake accent.

But, my main jist is, what is going on in the minds of a pipe club organizer that would rather have a youtuber teach his club about blending than someone who actually knows something.
Well, yeah I wouldn't do any of that publically, but I still think he is showing a trend towards humility I find to be a good thing. As far as Chesterton's inviting him, I think that has more to do with the Catholic angle, for better or worse.

I think that we define this differently.
Someone who knows someone at this pipe club should let them know that they can call Sutliff or Stokkebye and get aa blender to present. When Lane came to out meeting Mike brought a ton of tobaccos for us to practice blending.

May 17, 2023
Indiana
Well, I think I kinda agree with you. I just think he is moving towards humility, not that he has achieved it (as none of us has truly) and I commend that in him. I do think that presenting yourself as a blender when you aren't is presumptuous, but I also think some of the ad hominen attacks here are just as distasteful.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, I think I kinda agree with you. I just think he is moving towards humility, not that he has achieved it (as none of us has truly) and I commend that in him. I do think that presenting yourself as a blender when you aren't is presumptuous, but I also think some of the ad hominen attacks here are just as distasteful.
That's very optimistic and generous of you. I take people as they are now, not how they may be in the future. Except for kids and young adults, who are still evolving at a rapid clip. In my work, I spend a lot of time with students, and I do enjoy imagining their potential.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Someone who knows someone at this pipe club should let them know that they can call Sutliff or Stokkebye and get aa blender to present. When Lane came to out meeting Mike brought a ton of tobaccos for us to practice blending.

That’s such a great idea! We’re getting a little pipe club together here in Northern Virginia and I’d bet the Sutliff folks would be willing to come up from Richmond if we get critical mass. Thanks for mentioning this.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
They're aware, I assure you. They've had professional blenders and pipe makers make appearances at that store before.

One of the proprietors of the shop also has a YouTube channel, so I believe that was part of the reason for inviting him. Like him or not, Harrelson's channel is by far one of the more popular ones devoted to pipe tobacco. And having him over proved to be a big draw for their business, evidently.

Status
Not open for further replies.