PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah jarring it and leaving it as good with some blends, like billy budd for instance, at first I found the oriental component overwhelming for the blend, but after about 8 months in a jar I'm smoking it as we speak and it's marvelous, you can barely detect the oriental component now.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I rarely smoke something that I all-out dislike. If something I don't like still comes my way, I either put it in a jelly jar and forget about it or find something about the blend that makes it smokeable.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I still have a tin of Peterson's Hyde Park I smoked half a bowl from. Couldn't give it away on here, wouldn't waste good tobacco trying to blend the offensiveness out of it. Before throwing it out I might see if my wife wants to use it for poupourri in the bathroom. It tastes like soap so...yeah.
Now then I bought a crapload of Royal Yacht and liked it for a while, then it started getting old and really harsh on me. So I mix in a couple tablespoonfuls of black cavendish (which I found way too mild) with a full tin of RY and let it sit a week. Result, the best of both worlds.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
If I can't blend with another baccy, I grind the unwanted into nasal snuff..

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Most give it away, some throw it away and a few of us try salvaging it. I suppose if decent tobacco was relatively available in my neck of the woods I probably would have just given it away. However I'm glad I played around with it or I never would've stumbled upon my own house blend.
I like your idea of keeping a blending stock rootling.
Sounds like you nailed a good one too shutterbug.
I'll age some IO as well as tarak and others have done.
As you suggest conlejm, I will try the IO in another pipe, as soon as I work up the courage!
Thanks all for the great tips.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@Dottiewarden
Pm me your address and I will send you a sample of my amazing English leftover stock to show you that my way wins.
It is amazing. Only pm me if you enjoy English style tobacco. :wink:

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Generally, if I find a tin I don't like, I'll let it sit. Then, for some strange reason, a few weeks later I find myself craving it.
Examples are Nightcap, Royal Yacht & Irish Oak...
All of which I now consider as my "special treat" tobaccos.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I jar it, put it away and revisit when I am inclined to try it again. I just revisited some Escudo I stuck in a jar in early 2012. I really enjoyed it this time. It aged a couple years, and since I've only been smoking a pipe a few years, my packing and smoking skills have improved quite a bit. Also, I find I like different tobaccos than I did at that time. I wouldn't throw anything away. Tobacco keeps nicely in jars, and you never know how your tastes, skills and pipe collection will change over the years.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is never an issue for me. If it is cheap and awful - which happened some when I returned to the pipe - I throw it out. More expensive stuff, I will give multiple chances,over a period of time, but have also tossed in a box pass. It has to be awful for that to happen. Lots I just smoke the whole tin and say, "Never again" - like on my recent revisits of Dunhill London and Nightcap.
And I would not dream of buying large amounts of something I haven't smoked. I don't care how much cheaper it is that way - it's not a bargain if I don't like it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I haven't found much that I don't like. But when I do I just give it to someone that I know will appreciate it. My opinion is why smoke something you don't care for when there are so many tasty options out there.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I just recently had a tobacco that I smoked one time and HATED it. Couldn't finish the bowl. It was a French Vanilla aro, and my sister in law said it smells like the filling in the cordial cherries she loves...I gave it to her, she's using it as potpourri. Others, such as a bag of Admiral's Choice (DreamCastle) Black and Gold Cav, I used for a mixer; since its extra wet, I mixed it with the few old dried out tobaccos I had lying around, and it made some nice one-time blends.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I had a tin of Captain Cool that I just couldn't stunt. It was something about the mint. I love mint (especially in a mojito), menthol cigarettes are fine, but just something about the mint in this blend I couldn't stand. Ended up giving it to my brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.