Don’t Care For Latakia, But I Did Like FM OTT - What To Try?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
I don’t often have a hankering for Latakia, but when I do, I find myself wishing I could still easily get a tin of FM on the town. I know there’s no match out there, but if that’s about the only English I’ve liked, what else should I try?

I might think Presbyterian, but I actually find it lacking just a smidge in Latakia and overall body.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

BCF

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
Wilke Lizzie Blood Red Virginia in a Boswell, drinking a little beer and enjoying the evening! Here's hoping you are too!
20230819_171857.jpg

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I don’t often have a hankering for Latakia, but when I do, I find myself wishing I could still easily get a tin of FM on the town. I know there’s no match out there, but if that’s about the only English I’ve liked, what else should I try?

I might think Presbyterian, but I actually find it lacking just a smidge in Latakia and overall body.

Having smoked a pipe since the late 1960s I've tried & tried to become a fan of Latakia blends to no avail.

I do enjoy some blends, however, where the Latakia is more condimental.

Not counting the out-of-production MacBaren Vintage Syrian, House of Windsor Country Doctor, & McClelland Oriental Cavendish, here are some suggestions I really enjoy on occasion & would highly recommend:

Peretti Cuban Mixture & Tashkent - both (IMHO) iconic must-try blends.
MacBaren Plumcake.
Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend
Peter Stokkebye English Luxury No. 17

Last edited:
Reactions: seaweed

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Despite you saying in the thread title that you don't like latakia, I think a lot of the Frog Mortons actually had quite a bit of latakia, but very little orientals. Which would be the reverse of something like Early Morning or Presbyterian or Red Rapparee. Which is to say I guess, you may or may not like Presbyterian, but either way, it won't bear much similarity to the Frog. But then, really not much is like it. And it also depends on what about it you're missing.

If you like the light vanilla topping that was on some of the Frogs, Sam Gawith perfection might be worth trying. It's got more oriental and less latakia than Frog Morton though. So it definitely won't be the same.

If you're missing the sort of thick creamy smoky fruity incense quality, then you might go the other direction from Presby and try a heavy lat/light (or no) oriental blend. There aren't a lot though. Maybe SG Commonwealth? Maybe Sillem's Commodore flake?

But really, if what you miss is the exact Frog Morton on the Town experience, you'll probably be happier in the long run spending some patient time trying to score some tins of it in the Tobacco for Sale/Trade section here, or watching tinbids for a while.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You might want to try Star of the East Gold and/or Match BSOSM. They're not like the frog but, they have a good oriental presence and easy on the Lat.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture. It's made by Sutliff. I have serveral Match blends, all are very good to outstanding IMHO

Reactions: AroEnglish

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Should try Just for Him Whiskey Biscuit Gravy. Great aromatic cavendish/Latakia.

Ernie makes some nice blends at watch city cigar like Old Black Magic. Aromatic American blend.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

I don't have anything to match but when I want an english with latakia as a background player I usually go for C&D Vieux Carre or The Country Squires Bag End. On the TCS website it says Bag End is a "latakia lovers dream" but its really not that prominent in the smoke, so don't let that throw you off. Good luck finding something.