Does Sweetened Black Cavendish Make Anyone Else Feel Crappy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I have come to appreciate most all types of tobacco that I have tried but have yet to try any aromatics. I am hesitant to try any because every time I smoke BCav it makes me feel crappy and my mouth taste terrible. I am thinking it must be a high sugar content thing or maybe I am mistaken in thinking so. I would love to hear thoughts on the subject.

So, I am really just wondering if I am alone in feeling this way and also is this what I could expect from aromatics as well?

Also, you may be wondering what I have smoked with black cav in… When I first picked up a pipe my local tobacconist gave me straight sweetened black cav and told me its the best place to start. This may be true for some and I appreciate his opinion and knowledge but I absolutely hated it. I have since tried adding it to other blends to experiment and even the smallest amount makes me feel almost hungover the next day.

Thanks in advance for any input from you fine folk.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Black Cavendish, sweetened is not a tobacco it is a process. Any tobacco can be cavendished and sweetened with anything from sugar syrup to tupelo honey to flavorings.
I am aware of this. Still wanting to know if people have similar reactions to it and if it is a common experience with aromatics for anyone.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
i find that many tobaccos that have been sweetened, cased, toasted or “cavendished” don’t sit well with me and I avoid them. This is to say I avoid the vast majority of blends. They give me a headache, among other things. Especially it seems if they’ve been flavored with vanilla.

I smoke c&d dark burley mainly. It’s air cured and piled a bit like cigar leaf is, and I don’t think much else is done to it.

Reactions: JustAregularPiper

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Not all aros have cavendish (sweetened or not), and not all non-aros don't have cavendish (sweetened or not).

Unsweetened cavendish is used a lot in both aros and non-aros just to add more body to the smoke or to tone down some flavor.

Not sure how long you've been smoking, but aros tend to smoke hotter than any other blend type, so you need to slow way down with them and dry them longer (at least at first, until you get a feel for adjusting your packing and cadence based on how moist the tobacco is). It could just be this is the real issue.

Otherwise if you are bothered by cavendish (particularly sweetened), that's not the end of aros for you. You might try what's called the "Danish aromatic" style, which is less heavy on flavoring.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
For me I've not reacted to that style of tobacco. Haven't heard of anyone who does myself but I have heard of sensitivities to certain tobacco flavorings and other tobacco styles like Latakia or Perique being issues for some. I would try different brands and blends to see if maybe there is something peculiar about one type of cav vs another. Since it's based on proprietary methods of preparing the tobacco and could use different tobacco like the different kinds of burley vs Virginia - not all cav is the same.

Last edited:

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I'd suggest testing the theory with high quality goods. Dan Tobacco's Blue Note is a high end aromatic, VA & Black Cavendish done in the European style. It's probably my favorite Aro.

Then I'd suggest trying a great tobacco containing black cavendish but without added flavor. In this realm I recommend Davidoff's Flake Medallions.

If neither makes you feel that way, then it isn't the cavendish at all and it's likely the syrupy sauce they slap on American aromatics. If Blue Note makes you feel that way but the Flake Medallions don't, you'll know it must be something with aromatics in general. If both make you feel that way, you can rest assured that the culprit is indeed the cavendish.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
Not all aros have cavendish (sweetened or not), and not all non-aros don't have cavendish (sweetened or not).

Unsweetened cavendish is used a lot in both aros and non-aros just to add more body to the smoke or to tone down some flavor.

Not sure how long you've been smoking, but aros tend to smoke hotter than any other blend type, so you need to slow way down with them and dry them longer (at least at first, until you get a feel for adjusting your packing and cadence based on how moist the tobacco is). It could just be this is the real issue.

Otherwise if you are bothered by cavendish (particularly sweetened), that's not the end of aros for you. You might try what's called the "Danish aromatic" style, which is less heavy on flavoring.
All of this is good to know. This is the first I have heard of danish aromatics. Will definitely check them out. I have been smoking for a couple months. Still a lot to learn but I have started to feel pretty comfortable with everything I smoke. No tongue bite or anything and have been able to slow down enough to appreciate the flavors of things that tasted like ash at first. Packing is my weak point now. Still learning. Thanks

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
For me I've not reacted to that style of tobacco. Haven't heard of anyone who does myself but I have heard of sensitivities to certain tobacco flavorings and other tobacco styles like Latakia or Perique being issues for some. I would try different brands and blends to see if maybe there is something peculiar about one type of cav vs another. Since it's based on proprietary methods of preparing the tobacco and could use different tobacco like the different kinds of burley vs Virginia - not all cav is the same.
I appreciate the advice. I hadn’t thought of the fact that other cavs may be different for me. I have used c&d unsweetened cav to no ill effect. Thats why I was specifically wondering about the sweet stuff.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I'd suggest testing the theory with high quality goods. Dan Tobacco's Blue Note is a high end aromatic, VA & Black Cavendish done in the European style. It's probably my favorite Aro.

Then I'd suggest trying a great tobacco containing black cavendish but without added flavor. In this realm I recommend Davidoff's Flake Medallions.

If neither makes you feel that way, then it isn't the cavendish at all and it's likely the syrupy sauce they slap on American aromatics. If Blue Note makes you feel that way but the Flake Medallions don't, you'll know it must be something with aromatics in general. If both make you feel that way, you can rest assured that the culprit is indeed the cavendish.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely try these out. My suspicion is that it is the syrupy sauce.

Reactions: jbfrady