Does Anything Really Smoke Better Than A Cob?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I'm still not convinced that a Cob isn't as good as any Briar. Geometrically they're just about perfect, and every time someone mentions a blind test they say the results are "surprising."
The only place I can fault Cobs is that the widest bowl they offer is .875", and I think there is merit for a 1" diameter bowl.

Other than that, what measurement does a good Briar pipe have that a Cob doesn't?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm still not convinced that a Cob isn't as good as any Briar.
If you are running a kool-aid stand, you'll never admit that lemonade is just as good. :wink:
For the record, I've driven a Ferrari while drinking kool-aid but still could not be blinded to the surprising

quality drive of my Focus SVT while drinking lemonade.
In the end ... SWYL & LWYS :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Frozen, show me a cob that has walls this thick, a stem this comfortable, a pipe that smokes as cool as this one, as dry(it has never needed a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture ever) and is as light as the 45 grams this one weighs.

This and many others in my collection make my blends taste so much better than any cob I have tried.
cobguy, it is not about any cool aide, it is about getting the best flavor out of my blends and for my tastes, a cob just doesn't do it. If you have not smoked a pipe of this quality then it is difficult to explain how much better my blends taste to someone who has yet to smoke a pipe of this quality. A hand cut stem from Rad Davis is something you have to experience for yourself. I sold pipes that today would sell for 1700.00 plus and bought pipes that were only 350.00. Hell back in the day those pipes sold for 900.00. For me it is not about the money, it is about getting the best smoking pipe I can no matter what the price is. If a cob made my blends taste like my Rad's do, I wouldn't think twice about buying them as I am all about how well my blends taste.
I will buy an ugly pipe if it makes my blends taste great as I have already done, just this last month. For example, here is what I consider to be an ugly pipe that I just bought a few weeks ago. It is a Michael Paarks Billiard that I paid 139.00 for.

For me it is all about how a pipe smokes and never about looks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
philobeddoe, I should not have said, never as there are shapes I will not buy. I only like the classics so blow fish, dolphins and the like are shapes I would not consider no matter how good a deal or how good I think the pipe will smoke.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Harris ... here's a cob that looks similar to your pipe with nice thick walls. It's the Mark Twain and, one Flake smoker to another, you need to try one of these!
ccd1.jpg

Reactions: TheWhale13
Mar 1, 2014
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Missourimeerschaum/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=168613

I was going to suggest this one. It hits most of the right buttons. The thickness of the walls and shape of the bit are limited by the fact that it's a cob, so if it's that big a deal to you by all means pass it by, but Castello (and probably every other pipe maker) makes plenty of thin walled pipes. It's going to be a hard argument convincing everyone with one of those pipes that they have an inferior product.
I hear it constantly in the radio show, people like pipes because of the subjectivity. If you love your Briar more than Cobs, it's probably just you. If you love your Cobs more than Briar of similar design, then it's probably just you.

The objective information available is so limited that it's basically impossible to say if one is superior. What information we do have, suggests that well crafted Briar and Cobs have a lot in common.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I gotta tell +1 on the cobs.

Out of all my pipes the cobs smoke the best.

I now have 8 in my rotation.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I see a lot of pipes(and own a few)that look better, but never tried one that smoked better than a cob.
If there is one out there, I don't think I would pay for it.
I know some people will, and it makes me happy they can.

May 4, 2015
The Savinelli I received free, I must say, smokes as well as my bigger-bowled cobs. Still, give me $120 and I'm going to buy a bag of cobs and spend the balance on tobacco.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
The thread that wouldn't die!!!
What the heck. I'll keep beating this horse, since I'm the one who started this all in the first place.
bonapart-bent-bulldog.jpg

A Ropp Bonaparte Bent Bulldog smokes better than any cob I currently own, with the possible exception of the Country Gentleman. The Ropp, however, is much lighter and has a wider chamber than the CG.
I've only been smoking the Ropp for three days, so it's probably not even broken in, yet. If the smoking gets even better, I really will be impressed.
Unfortunately, though, I'm still a newbie, and don't really know what to look for in a pipe so, like I posted earlier, if I do manage to buy a good one it's pure luck. Earlier, my luck was running consistently bad. This time I got lucky.
My current summation: Cobs smoke damn good. Cobs are quite affordable. New folk probably ought to start with cobs, 'cause we don't know what the heck we're doing, anyway. (Harris, I guarantee I could have managed to burn my tongue with your BEST pipe!) For many, there may never be a reason to smoke anything else, but... I see how transitioning to more expensive pipes can allow a knowledgeable person to really "dial in" exactly the smoking AND esthetic properties that will produce maximum happiness.
I has spoke...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm convinced the majority of the perception from folks that love the cobs is that they have a huge draft compared to most factory pipes. I know with some of my earlier pipes that didn't have the transition to the bit correct, the draw was a little restricted resulting in a wetter smoke. Open draws cover a multitude of sins- If you haven't read Rick Newcombe's "In Search Of Pipe Dreams", you should..

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cobguy, I have never seen a cob in that shape, it should smoke flakes just fine. Now if you can attach a hand made high quality German vulcanite stem, made by Rad Davis, I might think about it. :nana:

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Interesting thread.
I personally don't care for cobs at all. I like well made things and I guess the ersatz nature of cobs doesn't grab me. That is one of the reasons I honestly can't claim that I could judge only the "smokability" of a given pipe.
However, I wouldn't have any problems recommending a cob or two for someone with a below $50 budget for a new pipe. Estates are a different story altogether.
Not even this rare cob specimen feels right for me...:
Jg7MvXI.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Twain is an awesome smoker. I have two now, one in the rotation and one in the virgin tent. That OEM stem has to go, though. Even a Legend is too much pipe for a sickly little twig of a stem like that. I did the usual Forever Stem upgrade, but you know what, I'm the type who just might commission a Rad Davis stem for one! I never thought I would say this, but I wish I was at work. Then I could weigh mine; I believe it would meet or exceed the 45 gram limit.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
One could drive a Hugo. I could drive a lotus one could drive a formula one. Are there differences. Yes but they all are cars.

One could smoke a cob or Gabon charlatan dunhill Celsius. They are all pipes. Now be real there is a difference.

McDonald's Ora Michelin 3 star. Come on be real. Shel

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Okay, so what's the difference? I think that's the puzzle we're all wanting to see solved. A Hugo (Yugo?) with all its parts working drives a shitload better than a Lotus with a shelled-out transmission.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
MM Cobs are great, especially with Forever Stems. I haven't used those stock plastic stems in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.