PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I enjoy my Doctor Grabow Royalton Bulldog. For around $33 or so, it's a fine pipe. The Freehand is closer to $40 with shipping. Are they decent pipes for the money? I'm not expecting a $100 pipe for $40 - just wondering if it's a decent pipe for the price.
Thanks!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have an Omega and for the price it is a nice smoker. I liked it due to the military bit and since being fairly new, I did not want to practice and make mistakes with some more expensive pipes. I am pleased with it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
They smoke fine for a low end pipe. Over several months I bought 7 Omegas on the bay. I smoked all of them and then I refinished all of them. 8)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have a Grand Duke that is the top pipe of my work pipe rotation. It was my first pipe and smokes just fine, with or without filter.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10722/pa090967-600x450.jpg
There are only 5 left after giving 2 away.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
my late father's dr. grabow freehand is well over 40 years old...the rare times I've smoked it in the 23 years it's been in my possession, it has proven itself to be a good smoker.
that said, the drafthole is well above the bottom of the bowl...dottle and dottle's mother, brother and cousin live well in that space after every bowl...not saying they are all made this way but, as with any pipe, caveat emptor should apply here.
otherwise, a good sturdy smoker.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My personal experiance is that $40.00 is too much. The one new DG Feehand I have had the varnish blister and flake off after ten or twenty uses. I've since refinshed it and sometimes pick it up now and then. I have a second older estate one (curiously equipped with a suitable Kaywoodie stem) that is a better smoker. I like them both better than the Omega since the Freehand is easier to clench.
I echo flintlockjohn's advice. Get one for less than twenty bucks off of ebay. If that isn't a option for you than save your money for just a bit longer and upgrade.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have two Grabow Omega pipes. One of them is in regular rotation. It smokes great and you can load it all day without getting soggy. I think it's the best bang for your buck.

If possible, get one without a sealed varnish finish. You can always remove the varnish with acetone if need be.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Andy:
I've had a number of DGs over the years and am now down to two. Fanboys love Dr. Grabow but I've found the line to be uneven at best. However, when you get a winner they're spot on. Forty bucks can buy you a used DG Eldorado and certainly a DG Viscount and they're the best of the vintage DGs. (Forty bucks can also buy a quality second hand Savinelli, GBD or Comoy's.)
Here's another thought. Take those same two Jacksons and buy a pair of used Israeli Mastersens or Alphas. They were all made by the Shalom pipe factory and most are terrific freehand smokers.
Good luck, pal.
Fnord

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Here's another thought. Take those same two Jacksons and buy a pair of used Israeli Mastersens or Alphas. They were all made by the Shalom pipe factory and most are terrific freehand smokers.
I've seen those on the 'bay. Was wondering about them. Maybe I'll give them a try.
I went to my local B&M. They sell the DG Freehand for $40. Didn't really like the looks of it. I'm thinking the older ones might be better, and may also consider an estate.
Thanks for the input, gents.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
fnord wrote:
Here's another thought. Take those same two Jacksons and buy a pair of used Israeli Mastersens or Alphas
I'll second that advice. I have two Mastersons and an Alpha sitter. I'd pick them up for a smoke before the Dr Grabow freehand.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Dr.G Viscount, one of my first pipes bought in the 1970's, and I still enjoy smoking aromatics with it. I also have a Royalton bulldog of recent manufacture: a good, serviceable pipe that I carry at work. The Royalton and Viscounts were the "high" end Dr. Grabows, I have had many Grabows through the years, but the two I still have are the best I had. Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. I have other, more expensive pipes that aren't as good as these two Dr. G's.

Status
Not open for further replies.