Do you think pipe smoking is becoming popular again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
No I do not. I just think that social media makes you notice more smokexpensive a pipe then you thought.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
And to follow-up on Kevin's note regarding the year 2009 when this site started, look at the tremendous growth pipesmagazine.com has enjoyed since its start up. And it seems that I am always reading posts from the younger generation. They can get much more info now regarding pipe smoking than I could when I was growing up and enjoying pipe smoking in my 20s.
From personal experience; my eBay and private website sales indicate not just a small, but a rather large growth of customers who are young and eager to join the hobby and eager to learn. I think that those of us who attend pipe shows regularly around the country will agree that a lot of young people are involved, either as patrons or budding pipe makers. All of this has been wonderful for me to see. It does my heart good knowing that this great hobby will carry on as adventurous young people who are bucking the system, are not allowing crazy smoking Nazi laws to send them ducking for cover.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
When I work a shift at a local B&M, I get a lot of comments when I smoke my pipe. Many of the guys have a pipe at home but weren't exposed to technique and great blends as they are with cigars. I hear a lot of the same comments we see in here with newer members like "why won't it stay lit" or the famous "where do I start?". These guys didn't have someone showing them the ropes and they may not have considered doing some digging online for technique and recommendations. Many do show sincere interest though and that's where we come in. We're ambassadors, we're the front line, we're the ones that can recruit fresh blood and show people the ropes.
As for the popularity piece, I'd hate to see more blends fall into the Esoterica trap and become unobtainable. However, I'd also like to see B&M's be able to start stocking a deeper selection. One local place near my work has an amazing cigar selection, I'm always finding a hidden gem. If I went in for pipe tobacco though, I'd have my pick of aromatic Peterson blends and a few from the Tsuge line. Not bad tobacco's but thems are some slim pickin's.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
As Warren is wont to point out, for good, bad or indifferent, follow the money. My locals wouldn't increase their selection of pipe-related merchandise if they didn't think it would sell. That is what I based my response on. And yes, "popular" is relative. An increase from 0.002% to 0.003% is an increase, but not a tidal wave.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
i'm still not entirely convinced that i'm not the only pipe smoker left in the world...all of you just the product of my own dementia. I have noticed a spike in hallucinatory tobacco consumption, but i don't trust the surveys from which this information was gleaned, also a product of my dementia.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've taken to carrying my pipe everywhere, even if I can't smoke it. It is soft evangelization. I usually just keep it my mouth, letting the fire die, when I'm at the drugstore, liquor store - even the Doctor's office. I've gotten many comments from folks, saying the pipe reminded them of a favorite uncle, grandpa, etc. The owner of my favorite liquor store recently asked me where was my pipe, when I left it in the car.
I live and work in Washington, DC. I have seen only one other pipe smoker in years, if not decades - outside of a tobacco shop. Pipe smoking may be growing but not enough to be noticed in the larger culture.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think much of current smoking tastes boils down to health insurance, like many issues these days.
You're not a smoker if you have the occasional cigar. And there's no paraphernalia. Smoke, dump the butt, take a shower and you're a 100% doubleplusgood non-smoker again, comrade!
That being said, I love a good cigar.
The two coexist well, cigars and pipes, because we're both non-inhalers and not convenience smokers.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Does everybody but me have a "it reminds me of . . . . ." story.
Maybe, though I would be in your camp were it not for one man at my church. He died when I was still a small child but one of my earliest memories is of him sitting in his New Yorker finishing his pipe before making his way to the sanctuary. The smell was of an aromatic, probably an OTC like Middleton's Cherry. He was a tall, largish man with a kind nature. A good nature and pipe smoking were thus associated in my mind from an early age. I was set to be a pipe smoker before I could ride a bike.
As for the popularity of pipe smoking, I trust folks like Steve for their read of the pipe show crowds. I know only a much smaller population. In that circle, my brother-in-law recently took up the pipe, and my father-in-law returned to it. Meanwhile a dear friend inspired two of his brothers to begin smoking pipes.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Warren brings up an interesting issue. Health care companies are looking for smokers of any kind to increase premiums to the max. I would hate to have a heart attack, the health care company come into my house and discover my pipe and tobacco collections. Both are over represented of what I actually smoke, which is relatively infrequent. So, in my view, popularity is a double edged sword...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Health care companies are looking for smokers of any kind to increase premiums to the max. I would hate to have a heart attack, the health care company come into my house and discover my pipe and tobacco collections.
They're probably doing it by your internet activity. Best part is: if you lied, your healthcare may be invalid.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Perhaps I'm a bit of a cynic but as long ago as the 1960s, young people were taking up pipe smoking especially on campus. After all it made you look sophisticated and mature and every college man wanted that. How many will continue the practice is the question. My experience suggests maybe one in twenty if that high and I'll bet the number, whatever it might actually be, has held pretty true through the years. What's different today is that social media like this site have facilitated connecting what were once isolated pockets of pipe smokers. Our numbers expand and contract by small percentages but the core community remains relatively constant. I could be wrong but I'm betting history repeats itself. By the way I'm "Old School". I never go anywhere without a short Rhodie hanging out of my mouth and Yes Warren somebody is always telling me "That reminds me of ..." Seldom are they unpleasant memories for that person. Apart from the insurance companies gouging, the state and federal governments greed for tax revenue and the ceaseless anti's clamoring, for most people, pipe smokers bring back pleasant memories. Cigars don't seem to invoke the same response but it seems everybody knew a thoughtful, kind soul that smoked a pipe. It's our image that will save us, not our numbers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How do you think about popular? Clearly with online sales and sites showing expansive inventory and brisk sales, there is a market for pipes and pipe tobacco that is becoming larger in number of offerings. Higher price pipes seem to have more of a market than ten years ago. At the same time, the places available for public smoking are decreasing, and even some cigar bars discourage pipes. So I would guess there is a subtle uptrend, but no land rush to the pipe shops, on or off line. What I would say is that pipe tobacco blending is in a sort of golden age. The glory of that is, it is extremely inclusive. Whether a pipe smoker has five MM cobs or vaults full of artisanal handmade pipes, all can enjoy tins (and bulk bags) of incredibly fine blended tobaccos in hundreds (thousands?) of different blends.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I don't think it's becoming more popular, but I really don't know? All I know is that I don't see anyone smoking a pipe when I'm out and about. The humidor is three to four times the size of the pipe area in my local B&M, and all I ever see are cigars being smoked there. The pipe area actually appears to have a thick layer of dust on the majority of pipe related items. The internet is a microcosm to me and can make it appear that it's gaining in popularity. I don't think tobacco use in general is gaining in popularity (actually the opposite), but pipe smoking does seem to be maintaining (fingers crossed)? The internet may be doing more harm than good, as I know that trips to my local B&M and my urge to want to go out and congregate with others has been dramatically reduced since the internet has come around. Although, it has had positive effects as well. I know that I have become accustomed to simply ordering my supplies from the internet and just sitting in my house and enjoying my pipes. This certainly isn't helping grow or add to the popularity of pipe smoking. This is probably just me though. Although, my pipe smoking has not led any of my friends or acquaintances to pick up a pipe; not even those that smoke cigars and/or cigarettes. They just don't want to deal with the whole ritual aspect of it and prefer quick and easy; a real barrier to pipe smoking gaining popularity in my opinion. It's too time consuming for a now, now, now, fast, fast, fast overall pace of life of many people I know.
I obviously have no idea, but would gesture to say 'no' it's not. At least this is my best guess. It's definitely become less popular over time, but I think it's enjoying a slight resurgence for the time being. It's hard to say something is becoming more popular that media, government, and the general majority of the population perceives and dictates as harmful, intrusive, and not allowed in so many places. I'm surprised people are allowed to still smoke, and won't be surprised when the day comes that we'll all be required by law to submit to regular nicotine tests in order to be eligible for insurance coverage that is also required by law. The cute young girl that passes by and remarks that the smell of my pipe reminds her of her grandpa will be obsolete. It will be a cute young girl that passes by and texts the police that someone is smoking a pipe on the sidewalk, followed by an instagram post of my mug with devil horns on a superimposed skull and crossbones. Live it up now, as it's just a high point in an overall steady decline. Again, sorry for the debbie downer perspective. I can't help it. It's just my gut feeling. I hope my gut is wrong as I'd love to see pipe smoking become popular again.

Status
Not open for further replies.