Do You Smoke SG Navy Flake In A Lat or VA Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes
New Accessories
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
So with a blend like SG Navy Flake, do you smoke it in a lat pipe or one of your VA pipes?
Do you worry about the Rum topping ghosting either one of the pipes?

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'd make one of my VA flake pipes a Lat-flake pipe, if SG's Navy Flake, and other Lat Flakes were going to be in my rotation.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
fair enough! I'll probably just smoke it in my frog morton pipe, since I hardly ever smoke lat flakes, just like some Sammy G Navy!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
branzig:
The rum is not so much a topping as a deeply instilled flavoring. There's nothing "moist" about this blend at all.
I smoke the SG Navy Flake in pipes I've dedicated to VA/burley flakes, as opposed to pipes dedicated to straight VAs. I'd be shocked, though, if you noticed any kind of ghosting from this blend at all.
Bob

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks!
I was more concerned with the Lat messing up my pure virginia's than I was the rum to be honest

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You may not even notice the latakia. It's a tiny, tiny amount that just adds a certain depth to the blend.
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I seem to remember a discussion of this blend before saying it was 15% last,while SG Balkan Flake is 30%.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
So with that little latikia, you wouldn't be opposed to using your VA pipe? This is a very interesting question as many blends have this crossover element; e.g. is MacBaren Plumbcake best in an aromatic pipe, or a Lat pipe...?

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Right, because I would think the Lat would ghost. but it's all good. I think it will smoke just fine in my frog morton(s) pipe

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
When it cones to navy flake i smoke just one pipe that I alternate with other navy flakes that way the taste does stray far from one blend to the next. If i had only one pipe and wanted to smoke another blend and cross the flavor over i would choose a pipe that puffs Virginia's.

Status
Not open for further replies.