Do You Now - Or Have You Ever - Worked in a Pipe Shop?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One of the best periods of my life was when I worked part-time at a Tinder Box in suburban Chicago. I was there from 1983-88, at the Yorktown Mall in Lombard, IL. And as someone who had only been smoking a pipe for three years when I started, it was a fantastic place to get a tobacco education and to meet a lot of wonderful pipe and cigar smokers. Of course, at that time, the Tinder Box made its money from collector plates and figurines! But we also stocked about 25 Tinder Box house blends, as well as a lot of great tinned blends: the Balkan Sobranies, the Rattrays, Dunhills, Three Nuns, Condor, etc., etc.
It should be noted that this was an era when you could not only smoke in a mall tobacco shop, you could also smoke in the mall!
That experience was incredibly important to building my appreciation for and experience of pipes and tobaccos. So I'm wondering if anyone else here has any similar experiences they'd care to share.
Bob

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I remember a Tinder Box in a mall near Atlanta. It was early in my cigar smoking days and I felt out of place because I was young. I wish they still had them.
I do work at a "cigar" shop on Saturdays. Not much in the pipe category however.

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
I never have but my grandfather worked in one, Buffalo NY, for many years after he retired.
We used to go there when I was a kid to visit, etc etc. They also sold some homemade sweets, coffee, etc, and he would make the sponge candy. LOVED that sh*t. Cant' find it anywhere these days but specialty chocolate shops and the like.
Good memories.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Never worked in one in quite the same way as intended in this thread... Was a friend of a man that owned two B&Ms while I was travelling quite a bit. Stopped in his shop often. We would catch up, he would ask opinions on what to name a new blend, test drive something he was working on, etc.
So, I was in the periphery. And learned quite a bit. Enough, in fact, that sitting out a 2yr non-compete I ended up running the Dominican operations for an upstart cigar company during the cigar frenzy.
Now, I'm back to my true calling (I design I.T. systems) and smoke my pipe while doing it.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Did any of you actually bring home any money at the end of the week? I believe I'd end up in debt to the store, or at best break even...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No. It's a fantasy. I suspect it would be fun for about three days. The local Tinder Box doesn't allow smoking.

I think being a sales person is more about sales than about pipes, beyond certain basic knowledge. Owning

your own B&M is a tough business, an admirable calling.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I can attest that I do spend a portion of my earnings on pipe related items. But at the same time I've almost paid off the wife's new washer from it as well. I save a little and spend a little.

As stated this is not my regular job.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I think it would be cool to work PT at a B&M. I don't really have the time for it, but it'd be fun to be able to smoke inside and shoot the breeze with folks about pipes and cigars while trying to get them to walk out the door with new briar or a few new stogies.
I love selling stuff, but only stuff I like and believe in.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Heck, I'd work a couple hours a week in a B&M for in store credit! Pay me in ounces.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I work in a pipe shop.... a "pipemaking" shop, that is. Does that count?
I used to (practically) live at my local Edward's though. :D

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I was born in 1995, so no. Though that doesn't mean that I haven't dreamed of it. :puffy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
No, but I did stay at a Holiday In Express last night!
I'm usually at my local B&M at least once a week, and I might as well work there! I sometimes help with the customers, giving advice on pipes and tobacco, as well as accessories. It's a lot of fun helping out!
You were talking about smoking in the store, that's one of my favorite things about my yearly trips to The Gatlin-Burlier smoke shop in Gatlinburg TN. It's in the Mountain Mall up there. There are no doors, just open walkways leading into the shop, and you can just walk right in and light up! I'm usually there every day of our trips, for at least an hour at a time! It's a great experience! We do have another small B&M here in town where you can do that, but the atmosphere is just not the same.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I definitely brought home money, though I was only a part-timer. But I eventually was working every Saturday and Sunday, as well as three nights a week. And since we could smoke any of the Tinder Box branded open jars of tobacco for free while we were on the clock -- while getting a 40% discount on everything else -- I didn't go into debt to the owner while I was there, even though I slowly built up a good collection of Ascortis and Charatans.
I will say that our store was extremely laid back in terms of retail selling. The owner specifically encouraged us to greet everyone who came through the door and offer to help, but to stay behind the counter and puff away unless they specifically asked for assistance. We made no commissions on anything, so that helped to encourage that kind of environment.
I remember I left after just getting burned out on all the hours I was putting in (which was in addition to my full-time job). But I actually loved working retail. I'm a big believer in customer service, and it was a pleasure to deliver it well. I also loved talking about pipes and tobaccos with everyone who was willing to listen. It *did* get frustrating to spend, literally, 30 minutes talking to a poetential pipe smoker -- explaining differences between pipe brands and expensive/cheaper pipes, discussing tobaccos, etc. -- only to have the guy walk out without buying anything. . . or just pick up a $15 no-name pipe. (I also hated carting out the garbage to the mall dumpsters and dusting all of the knick-knacks in the store... But that's why they call it a "job.")
In exchange, I got to be there when a man came in with a briefcase full of Dunhills that he wanted to sell because he was getting married and his fiancee didn't like pipe smoking. (We all shook our heads, suggesting maybe he should rethink his decision...) I was there when guys who had never bought a cigar in their life came rushing in because their wives had just given birth and they wanted to hand out something good. And for that one snapshot in time, I had the freedom to smoke every single Tinder Box blend and every single brand of cigar for sale in the store, for free. (You were allowed one free cigar from every brand during your employment, so you could talk knowledgeably about it. At my TB, that included Hoyo de Monterrey, Punch, Partagas, H. Upmann, Macanudo, Zino -- which was brand new back then, etc..) On top of it all, I met friends I'd have never met in my day job.
Bob

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Bob, I wished my B&M experience was like yours. While I like working at this shop, it's owners lack any real effort to attract pipe smokers or real cigar smokers in general. The "best" pipes we offer are Medicos. No offense to anyone who loves them, but they always order the "brylon" versions. We carry Sutliff(Altadis) tobaccos, but little else. They rely on cigar sales(bargain and mid level, no premiums)and RYO products.

I am not sure how much longer I am going to continue working there, as I do like the extra $$, it helps me buy the things in the pipe world I really like.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
voorhees:
Oh, I would have a hard time at a shop like that!
Of course, I know that not every TB is/was like mine. Most others I've been to didn't carry any tins whatsoever, just the jarred TB blends. And we had far more pipes than most, as well. But while lots of folks dissed TBes because of all the "gifts," I think those high-ticket collectibles were what allowed our shop to last as long as it did. (It's gone now, unfortunately.)
Another advantage of the collectibles: They gave us things to play with when business was slow. Every now and then, we took some of the Hummels out of the displays and (carefully!) re-enacted scenes from Star Wars with them!
Bob

Aug 14, 2012
I worked at Peterson's tobacconist, across the street from Grand Central Station in the 1950s. It is called Barclay Rex now. It was a summer job. Loved it and did not get tired of it. It was almost 60 years ago. I walked into the owner's office, a Mr. Silverman, and explained that he needed me on the job because of my knowledge of pipes and tobaccos. He hired me. No free tobacco or pipes though, no employee discount, and once, when I dropped a hookah and smashed it, they took the retail cost out of my pay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never worked in a tobacco store but my buddy owns Regency Cigar in East Greenwich Rhode Island and he has a great smoking lounge in the back and I would spend bout 35 hours a week in their hanging out, playing cards, watching sports and smoking my cigars and pipes. It was a second home for me and ran much of my businesses out of there. If anyone needs any Opus or other hard to find cigars just call them, ask for Mike and tell him you are a friend of Harris. He will take very good care of you.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
In early 1974 I had just handed in my dissertation, and finding myself with time on my hands, went to work at the Carousel in Cincinnati. I understand that Arnold is still there. I had the time of my life, dusting pipes, arranging displays, learning a bit about blending-- and being able to take advantage of my employees discount. It lasted only a few months until graduation, but I had the time of my life. I think back fondly of it, and now that I'm retired, would love to repeat the experience if there were only a shop nearby. What I have learned in the intervening years would be of great benefit to any customer who came into a shop to find me behind the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.