Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
If you own one of course...

I have been pondering making this my next pipe acquisition. Some questions:

Do you generally like the way a system pipe smokes?
Are there certain tobaccos that you prefer to smoke in it?
Is cleaning it a pain?
Would you buy one again?
Any other perspective buyer advice? Etc?

TIA

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I have two (a 317 and a 306) and I am planning on buying two more. Needles to say I love them. They helped me crack the mysteries of smoking and enjoy habitual pipe smoking.

Takes an extra 30 seconds to clean, no biggie. The main advantage to me is that they smoke dryer and cooler and there's virtually no risk of getting tobbaco juice in your mouth. Which I had problem with in the beginning with regular pipes.

The P-lips are up to personal preference. I like them and they reduce the risk of drooling down the stem when working in the garden, golfing etc. while smoking.

I highly recommend them. Best of luck to you!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have a few,it took me a while to get on with the P lip but now its fine,Cleaning only takes a couple of seconds more.You can remove the stem straight a way as it is an army mount and swab the sump with a earbud or napkin and run you pipe cleaner through as usual,
Done

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Fishtail, as I don’t like the p-lip giving me gum burn. They’re fine. I like mine well enough.

They don’t isolate moisture as well as a balsa filter, and they don’t solve condensate in the stem itself, but they do a good enough job not to be a gimmick. Sibce they’re army mounts you can haul off the stem and give it a flick in any case, if you need to. Love the look, and the fit, both silver and nickel, have been fine with no functional issues.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have 1 Peterson System and 2 Italian made "well pipes" and they all smoke great. Clean up isn't any more difficult and although they won't fix bad technique, they do smoke cooler and drier than average with good technique. I like the p lip, and my Peterson does smoke and function better than the Italian (non-Savinelli) knockoffs, but they all smoke dry as designed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Peterson Systems pipe, though I admire their looks. I own about eight Petersons, but no Systems, and I have been lucky with no quality issues at all, such that if I could trade one or two of my Petersons for a Systems pipe, I doubt I would. It may sound like a picky point, but it's data for your decision.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Good thread, as I'm in the same boat. Petersons have been growing on me lately and I really like silver bands and mounts. I've never smoked a a system, or a P-Lip, or even a full or 3/4 bent pipe, so it will be quite a change for me since it seems like the straight systems have been 86'd from the lineup.

Anybody know just how much bigger a 307 is as conpared to, say, a 314? Those are the 2 sizes I've been eyeballing and that are available as spigot systems.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I owned one once upon a time. It was a beautiful DeLuxe, shape 11s I believe. Had gorgeous cross grain and a P-lip of course but that’s the reason I eventually got rid of it. I just could not get used to the feel of it in my mouth.
I prefer a very thin and narrow bit so the P lip felt like I had a pacifier in my mouth.
In general I liked the way it smoked.. the system worked fine and it delivered good dry flavorful smoke.
It did require extra cleaning in my opinion- I just couldn’t handle putting it up on the rack without swabbing the well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you own one of course...

I have been pondering making this my next pipe acquisition. Some questions:

Do you generally like the way a system pipe smokes?

Yes

Are there certain tobaccos that you prefer to smoke in it?

No

Is cleaning it a pain?

No

Would you buy one again?

Yes

Any other perspective buyer advice? Etc?

Enjoy!

TIA

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Good thread, as I'm in the same boat. Petersons have been growing on me lately and I really like silver bands and mounts. I've never smoked a a system, or a P-Lip, or even a full or 3/4 bent pipe, so it will be quite a change for me since it seems like the straight systems have been 86'd from the lineup.

Anybody know just how much bigger a 307 is as conpared to, say, a 314? Those are the 2 sizes I've been eyeballing and that are available as spigot systems.
The 307 is quite a wide bowl imo. I haven't seen a 314 in person.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't own a Peterson P-Lip System pipe, but the more I read this thread, the more tempted I am to get one. I'm just a little apprehensive because I hear all these horror stories about Peterson's quality control. I've always been curious about the P-Lip. I'm actually surprised I don't currently own one.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'd say don't buy one online. Buy it in person and test the stem fit first. I have six Petersons (some p-lip and some standard). They look nice and all of them smoke well. But, almost all of them are a pain to clean because stems are difficult to remove. Passing a pipe clean all the way to the bowl is a challenge on the full bent models unless you remove the stem first. Truthfully, I don't know I keep buying them. I guess because I'm confident they'll smoke well. (It's time to branch out though).

Status
Not open for further replies.