Do You Like smokingpipes.com New Website's Design?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2015
Dunno who the Einstein was who thought this was a good idea, but he's obviously a tech happy moron.
Take that tech moron! Anyone can design a site that handles large volumes of traffic and does millions of $$$ in business every year. It's so easy!!! Just do what the guys on the pipe forums say!
Finally got back to the laptop and checked out the new site. I actually like it. I find it easier to navigate. Guess I'm one of those crazy liberal youngin's that is ruining this country.
I like it a lot! I guess only us young guys are smart enough to know how to use it.
Can't wait until next time the site gets a major change or upgrade. "I liked the old site so much better, it was so easy to use!"

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Nice first post, feel free to bash everyone.
Take that tech moron! Anyone can design a site that handles large volumes of traffic and does millions of $$$ in business every year. It's so easy!!! Just do what the guys on the pipe forums say!
Seemed to work pretty well before, so it must take a real genius to change it and piss off the majority of people that responded.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
@ secretretailer
You did a fine job on the website. Technically adept and visually catching. But perhaps you overdid it a bit. Rein yourself in a bit next time and have mercy on us old guys, who aren't smart enough to fully use what you are capable of producing! :worship:

Sep 30, 2015
Nice first post, feel free to bash everyone.
Then I'll fit right in on this thread! I guess it's no problem bashing a site sponsor that's done so much for the hobby. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh I was inconvenienced for a couple days by a site trying to make itself better, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :crying:
Seemed to work pretty well before, so it must take a real genius to change it and piss off the majority of people that responded.
Majority? You mean the dozen or so guys on this thread that hated it. I bet their sales #s show the majority liked it just fine!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You can't count also seceret retailer, dozen? Thee are over 80 posts and the great majority didn't like it. Talk about money, go back just 4 years and see how many high end pipes, new and estate, trades I've done you're talking like a genius when you're a moron . But then youth is a terrible thing when you're so smart and everyone is so stupid. Slink away little boy and let the men make the decisions.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Well, I used it this week for a tobacco purchase without issue. For that, despite being "busier" which is distracting somewhat, it worked fine.

But for my enjoyment of pursuing estate pipes, it does not work nearly as well as the old. Lost is the ability to drill down within a major category (English, Italian, etc.) to a specific brand (such as Barling or Savinelli) and from there yet further to a specific brand design (such as Trevi or Nonpareil within the Savs). This loss of an existing use of their database is unfortunate and will result in my reduced interest in the site.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you don't like the site you can always call their toll free number instead.
I remember hearing somewhere that pipe online retailing only accounts for about 15% of sales, 85% is still done over the phone. That'd be my guess as to why the site remodel seems more geared towards us youngsters.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Perhaps for the actual purchase, but I assure you the pipe was viewed on the site first.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
it was a ritual with me to cruise the site, now no more.
+1,The purpose of the site is to sell, if unnecessary changes cause customers to stop shopping /browsing it's a failure. If this causes some thin skinned individual some hurt feelings, too bad, you're an expense, the old guys that aren't smart enough for you are revenue.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
To me this is much to do about nothing. I ordered many times off the old site and just this week on the new site. No big deal. I was familiar with the old site and generally don't like change. In the fullness of time, I doubt I will even remember how "great" the old site was. I have no problem with the new site. I would not have changed it, as it was not broke, so nothing to "fix." I am surprised at the legs on this thread.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't understand the hate and disdain for youngsters. Don't you old farts want to pass the torch and carry on this tradition? Or are you the only ones worthy of it and it should die with you guys?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Lord to learn you have to be seen and keep your mouth shut. Trouble is some of you youngsters with Internet knowledge, Twitter, Glitter, are armed with Blanks. We love the youngsters and the Hobby. Now Zip it and Learn.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
wtf does this have to do with age/agism I thought this was about website design? My opinion is the new site offers some improvements but overall it's more cumbersome to peruse the new pipe updates which are the primary reason I use the site. Additionally, viewing pipes is less pleasant. The net effect for me is I've purchased 3 high end pipes since the update through other vendors whereas before the update I wouldn't have bothered shopping around. I'm putting together a tad order now and am not even looking at spc. SPC was my default shop but that's changed. I'm 42, I don't know if that rates me a geezer now but I'm no technophobe and have 20 years in the tech and ad arenas. Other sites offer a more pleasant shopping experience currently and it's as simple as that.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Can't stand it. I do not need to be impressed with a retail site, I just need a no nonsense and easy to see/navigate shopping experience. I believe it to be a huge step back in that regard.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I put in a TAD order yesterday, I'll continue to buy from SPC but I don't have to like the new site. Apparently to old and stupid to appreciate the changes. Some of the changes are good but may have been better as tweaks to the old site.

Status
Not open for further replies.