Do You Like Blends With Big Billows Of Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I seem to remember tobaccoreviews.com had a "volume of smoke" search term but I just looked and can't find it. I LIKE to see a lot of smoke! I just do. I'll name Molto Dolce. Anyone found any other consistent big producers?
Plugugly

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If you smoke straight Captain Black White like a freight train, it will give fabulous volumes of billowy white smoke. Unfortunately, it's not very good for the tongue.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I don't know about "big billows of smoke," but I do like a pipe-tobacco which yields smoke with body (e.g., a thick, creamy smoke). Most recently I have experienced that with a vintage sample of Gold Block Plug Cut (courtesy of Forum member klause), Frog Morton's Cellar, and Heine's Blend.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I too like to see a lot of smoke when I puff my pipe! As a matter of fact I thought of this last when puffing some ODF in my Savinelli Oom Paul. Man, does ODF generate a lot of full bodied smoke! It was marvelous.

May 4, 2015
According to my Savinelli instruction manual about how to properly smoke a pipe, while smoking, the whisps of smoke should be barely visible.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I associate Cavendish with producing a lot of heavy tactile smoke, and up to a point, this is a good thing. It enables you to roll the smoke around in your mouth and feel its seeming weight. Cavendish by itself can be a pleasant smoke, but I prefer it as part of a blend, adding that billowy aspect to other flavors as well. The billows aren't a regular requirement for me, far from it. But on occasion, it's nice to have some heavier smoke to play with. I find it pleasant.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Agreed frozenchurchwar,

The dryness of the tobacco and packing technique are most of it. However the cut is a huge factor, as in ribbon cut verses flakes or coins.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Smoke in the dark and discover how or if seeing smoke adds to the enjoyment.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Man, does ODF generate a lot of full bodied smoke! 
Agreed! Ashton Artisans Blend is another where I thought 'wow this is smoky!' during the bowl. Like you could almost chew that tasty, tasty smoke.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Who doesn't?

It doesn't have to produce large volumes of smoke to be a good blend, but there's just something relaxing and satisfying about seeing those slow moving, fluffy white clouds rolling away in a gentle breeze.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
I don't care for huge plumes of smoke, nor thin. I like a medium smokey plume. To each his/her own.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With the blends that I smoke, more Virginia flakes than anything else these days, I get the most flavor from gentle sips that result in mere wisps of smoke. Big bellowing clouds would cause a lot of heat to build up, damaging my pipes and giving me a far less delicious smoke. Perhaps there are blends that allow great clouds of smoke without heating up, maybe burley blends? Not the stuff I smoke, for sure. Of course, some smokers don't care about incinerating their pipes, but I can't afford to trash mine.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep Sable, OTC Burleys such as Carter Hall or Half & Half usually do produce a good amount without stoking the furnace.

As do some of the English and Balkans I smoke. No need to move air like a bellows into a forge!

Just sip and watch the clouds roll away.

Status
Not open for further replies.