PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I have a Medico Meerschaum that I picked up for a light price. Even with a slow cadence it seems to get quite hot, almost as hot as my little clay pipe. Is this normal? I know this is the African meer so not sure if the Turkish variety is known for burning cooler. This is my first meer and I was really dialed in on adding more but I may not bother if this is the norm. It really gets quite hot.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just about any pipe can burn hot if you pack it to the gills and smoke it like a choo choo. I smoke mainly meerschaum pipes and VA / VaPers and i don't really think it get's any hotter than my briars as a matter of fact I have a thick walled Ben Wade that get's hotter than my meerschaum with the same tobacco.

I think in the end a lot of it comes down to the user.

Do you have a pic of said pipe?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This is not the norm from my experience. A lot of time it comes down to the pipe smoker.
I've found that between all my meers they smoke similar to my briars. I do have a few meers that get hotter than my other meers, but they have thinner walls. If it's a thinner wall meer that may be why you're feeling more heat than your briars.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
A pipe is just a pipe to me. So far my meerschaum torture testing has proven them to be quite resilient.

If one of mine breaks or gets lost, I'd be upset and sad for a short time, but I've got plenty of others to light up if that happens. I know they're more durable than some make them out to be, which is why I handle mine like briars, take them places, etc., but I don't beat on them. I'll let others do that and share their experience. Thank you for your service. ;)