Do Jars Exist That Will Accommodate Round Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Ive searched up and down on this site for an answer and googled my brains out. Are there jars that will accommodate round tins? I have some vintage tins, and Id like to make sure they stay fresh even in the seal happens to break. Otherwise are we just using food storage / vaccuum seal mylar etc? I know round tins usually hold their seal very well but still. I found a couple tins of Copes Escudo I want to stay fresh.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
haha yeah! Fitting the whole tin in the jar... i feel like I have seen them somewhere. But I cant say for sure

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Well, somebody makes them. But why not just vacuum seal the entire thing if you want it sealed. There IS a lot of discussion about tins rusting though.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I don’t know where you buy these, but my guy at the B&M gave me this canister. It’s for lane bulk but fits a round tin perfectly. (Bottom right.) air tight.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Yeah that bale top canister might do it...thats a start anyways. That video is probably the best for storing the REALLLY rare ones... heheh

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Entertaining video, he kept me watching 'til the end.
Why are you wanting it in the tin? I think storing the tobacco in a jar would be the best. You could store the tin separately and the tobacco wouldn't degrade it from within. That way your tin and tobacco would be in the best condition for the future.
If you are storing it to resale in the future and and are worried about the seal drying out, what about applying a cheese wax on the outer rim? Cheese wax usually comes off cleanly in one piece, and is food grade.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/learn/how-to/waxing-cheese.html

That way you can keep the sealed jars in a low humidity environment, instead of trapped in a small space with moist tobacco. If one tin failed in the jar it would create a moister environment for the rest.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'm not beating the piss out of my tins, losing tobacco in the process, just to cram them in a jar. That video was crazy.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
cj02-1000_view2.png

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/acrylic-jar-humidor-humidors/1437573/#p-2527
I am not sure whether a tin can fit inside or not. You can check the dimensions.
Edit: Nah, I think it is too small for a tin.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Check places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They may have bail type jars with a big enough mouth to hold the tins.

I have 4 bail jars I've stored tobacco in for 2 or 3 years. Just opened one that I filled with tobacco in 2014 and it is still fresh and moist. The key is to make sure the seal stays soft and pliable.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
jvnshr - I did find some like that, which will accomodate tins.
Pappymac - Good call, or maybe the container store!
Brightleaf - Looking for something a little more secure but good thinking...ill post as I find more

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
https://www.containerstore.com/s/hermetic-acrylic-canisters/d?productId=10018773&q=jar
These perhaps although not glass...

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
To follow up, these acrylic canisters from the Container Store were the sturdiest I found.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/set-of-hermetic-acrylic-canisters/d?productId=11005782&q=canister
There is also a very popular brand on Amazon called "Oggi" which are also sold at Bed Bath and Beyond. They look identical, however the container stores version is much more solid and burlier. The acrylic is twice as thick as the Oggi, and the gasket is twice as thick. Solid, tight closure as well. If someone reads this at some point and wants to put some round tins into Hyper Sleep, these are the way to go.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've been storing my collectible tins in resealable Mylar bags in a very cool, dark basement.
After seeing these bail and seal jars from The Container Store I'm starting to have serious second thoughts.
Haven't seen a Ball, Mason or ersatz jar yet hoss enough to handle a traditional circular tin.
Thanks for raising the storage bar, Jravenwood.
Fnord

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
You are welcome. I figure in good climatic conditions you should only need to check the rubber seals on these every few years. Ill definitely be buying a few more.

Status
Not open for further replies.