PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I run a couple of cleaners through the shank and stem after it has cooled from use. I dip the tip of the cleaner in either whiskey or rum...depends on what I have...I buy a nip or two to use...cheap, easy and you can try different stuff until you find your favorite.

I also bend a cleaner in half, dip the rounded half...just a bit maybe quarter of an inch...in the bottle and use it to wipe/clean out the bowl...I don't do this every time I smoke and clean the pipe...maybe every sixth time give or take.

This works for me but I am a newbie...

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
That's good for regular cleaning, but you'll need something stronger to clean it better in the routine deep clean. I actually bought shank brushes to see how well they did...and actually worth the cheap price. Everyone recommends everclear or high proof alcohol to loosen up what just running a pipe cleaner through will not. I don't suggest briar fresh, but may be for you. If you have a screw in stem, q-tips are very handy as well to get the mortise. There are a lot of posts on this subject, but that's a little of what I've picked up. When you add something more than just pipe cleaners, you're going to be amazed at how dirty your pipe may really be.

Status
Not open for further replies.