PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

zonomo

Preferred Member
Nov 24, 2012
My wife and I just returned from a 4 day out of state trip. We noticed a ton of fruit flies in our house but we don't have any fruit out. I happen to notice a lot of them around my new tobacco that just arrived before our trip. It was 3 lbs of Hobbits Weed. I've never heard of such a thing but I am also a newbie to tobacco. Is my tobacco the culprit or something else?

zonomo

Preferred Member
Nov 24, 2012
yes, I guess most Aros do but whats strange here is that I've had all of my tobacco in my downstairs room, which is cool and dark and I've never ever had a problem. I just learned that we had a few of the fruit flies show up before we left for vacation so I don't think the hobbits weed is infested with them. I just jarred all 3 lbs and didnt see any IN the tobacco. This is very weird. Looking for some good input here.

astrange1

Apr 8, 2013
I would have to say yes, whenever I'm smoking outside flying insects in general seem to be attracted to the scent.

yaddy306

Preferred Member
Aug 7, 2013
Drosophila are usually attracted to rotting fruit, but it's possible they were attracted by the fermenting sugars in the tobacco.
That being said, tobacco itself is used as a natural insecticide, so I doubt any females would lay eggs in your Hobbits Weed.

zonomo

Preferred Member
Nov 24, 2012
Mystery solved. My wife inadvertently left a tray of sweet potatoes in the kitchen. My hobbits weed is indeed innocent. :D