PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you shop hard, with a lot of attention to reputation, reviews, and recommendations, you can probably get

optimal smoking experiences from pipes at the mid or even low price levels. That is because what some of

these pipes lack in the genius of the carver they make up for in simple quality control in a well-managed

workshop. When you go into pipes costing hundreds of dollars, you are buying excellence in drilling, engineering,

and materials, but even more, you are paying for originality and singularity of the product, aesthetic know-how

and design, bragging rights, and the power to exact a gasp of envy from fellow pipes smokers. Alone on your

porch, with a tin of fine tobacco, you can get all of the symphony of taste and fragrance in a well broken-in and

cleaned $70 pipe as you can from a $5,780 pipe. You'll get savor, consolation, meditation, and pipe dreams.

You won't get the blast of living large; if you want that, keep playing the lottery or bucking for that promotion.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Truth be told, randy wiley smokes better than any of my other pipes, and it was double to three times the price. But, and this is a big but, I can only count on it for one smoke a day. I love it and plan on getting another soon but my cheaper pipes can go all day...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think you're downplaying the importance of "excellence in drilling, engineering, and materials", MSO. Yes, if you know what you're doing you can get a satisfying smoking experience from any serviceable pipe, regardless of price. But the factors you mentioned (then seemed to dismiss) are, to me, the factors that make a good smoke GREAT.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I feel like there is a stigma against "expensive" pipes. Let me expound some clarity:
If a given pipemaker makes a single pipe and sells it for $300, say, how does that break down in price? Tooling aside (thousands of dollars), he has at least $35 into the block of briar, usually anywhere from $3-$7/ per inch for rod stock for the stem, and any exotic woods or metals for shank ornamentation; let's say for an average sized pipe, he has roughly $100 into the cost of the pipe. Most hobbyist pipe makers spend 10+ hours on a pipe.. let's call it 14 hours on average. For fourteen hours, you are paying this man $14.29 per hour to make you something beautiful from scratch. $14.29 isn't hardly worth his work. That's why you see handmade pipes selling for $400-$600+. You are not only paying that man for his time, but for his expertise as well.
If a given factory puts out 900 pipes a day and sells one for $75, they are doing an assembly line build, paying multiple people to spend a few minutes on the pipe for drilling, then shaping, then sanding, etc. Everything is mainly done by machine and is staffed for crucial points of their pipe making process. How much is their time? I'm too lazy to do the math on this one, so go ahead and use your imagination; it's probably not much per pipe, and likely they are paid hourly.
Which pipe smokes better? Well, that's subjective. Which pipe would you rather support? Also, subjective. Some people prefer shopping at WalMart, others at locally owned businesses.
This post wasn't meant to scorn either side, but I feel like most people don't take the time and effort of these "expensive" pipes into perspective. Just my 2c.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To me, the extra amount spent on the actual art of the pipe is well worth it in enjoyment. I have spent some hundreds

on a work of art (not a pipe) so I am not just blowing smoke. In many cases, I don't think the extra expense for a pipe

improves the smoking experience, but that in no way diminishes the aesthetic experience you enjoy each time you look

at, handle, or smoke the hand crafted pipe. One Forums member who has a number of Dunhills said he didn't feel his

Dunhills provided a greatly heightened smoking experience compared to other (less expensive pipes) but were worth it

as masterful products of this famous firm. I think high level pipes are an investment in the artistry, and that's a good

thing. (I know Dunhills are not hand-carved, but they are certainly high-level pipes, and valuable for some of the same reasons

as hand-made originals.) This is why I value my hand carved pipes, though they didn't cost me hundreds.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
You should read Fred Hanna new book, "The Perfect Smoke." Hanna's book is a very good read and his conclusion is that it is all about the briar. Given good pipe engineering, it is all about the briar that the pipe is made. While he says that price is not the only factor he does say that price or older pipes are the best determining factor of "the perfect smoke."

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
"Expensive" is a pretty subjective term, and doesn't allow for a very level playing field for comparisons.

I don't have a lot of what I consider "expensive" pipes save one artisan (a Jack Howell, $300+range). I bought it as an estate and a $300 pipe might not be considered expensive to many people. It smokes considerably better than a lot of my older British pipes, save a few. My summary is pricey pipes will probably smoke more consistently better than a lower priced pipe.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Like many have stated, its between you, your tobacco and pipe. It took a long while for myself to refine my pallet, and figure out what Ilike tobacco wise. Then its a journey to discover what pipes allow the blends you love to smoke well. This journey has actually taken a pipe that I had cleaned and ready for sale, and placed it into my rotation. This would be my Peterson 307, which makes cube cut Christmas Cheer shine.
Another observation when it comes to money spent. I own 3 panel pipes, all group 4 size. One 1971 dunhill, and 2 Parker ones. Parker being made by Dunhill, but are basically reject pipes not up to Dunhill standerds. The parker pipes I have aregenerally 75% cheaper in price, but smoke brilliantly.
Warren

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is a really interesting and largely subjective question. Not having smoked a briar pipe on a regular basis since the mid 1980s I would have to say it would all be down to personal taste. I suppose if you were to buy five new quality meerschaums and five 'I have been on holiday to Turkey and got you this crap pipe' pipes and five very ancient specimens you would probably notice a world of difference. I would assume you would throw away after a few smokes the five "I have been on holiday to Turkey and got you this crap pipe' specimens whilst spending most of your time trying to break in the nice new shiny meerschaums and ignoring the old broken in pipes. Therefore we can assume quality linked with newness would be an important factor but until it is broken in, say after 100 bowls you will not be able to tell if the pipe is any good. We have already tossed holiday pipes in the bin so I would say quality all the way!

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Remember to check the original post date guys [;)] Still great advice though.
Another thread resurrected from the dead.
To continue its life I add that maybe its the brand. I have inexpensive brands that smoke well. my 150.00 pipes do tend to smoke better, my dr grabbo smokes the worst. I've never spent more then 160 on any pipe. My best smoker though is my 150.00 Big Ben Cambridge. AND it is different then most of my others.
Pick what strikes your fancy and budget, avoid the cheapest because of cheep stem and other material and short cuts. my 2 cents

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
This question is part of discussion among pipe smokers, since there are pipes, but there is also the question, what is expensive? For someone smoking 10$ pipes, 100$ is expensive, for a Dunhill collector, 100$ pipes are the cheap pipes. The root of the question is, does the pipes, I cannot afford, smoke much better, then the ones, I can afford. For pipesmokers, who do not see pipes just as nicotine delivery systems, which applies to everybody, who is on such a forum, this question is coming up eventually.
I have a few quite expensive artisan pipes, which all smoke very well, but they are not my most often smoked pipes. When I'm up and about, I stuff a sandblasted or rusticated pipe with a pricetag well below $100 in my pocket. They are my most used pipes and they smoke extremely well. I am not considering a pipe broken in below 100-200 smokes through it. On the other hand, I am sure, a very well broken in expensive pipe would deliver an equally excellent smoke, but in the end, I could survive with my knock around pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Very expensive pipes are thoroughly enjoyed by those of whom can afford them.
Less expensive pipes are thoroughly enjoyed by those of whom can afford them.
Basket pipes are thoroughly enjoyed by those of whom can afford them.

cruz

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
I recently started up pipe smoking and splurged on a Castello for my first pipe and 2 weeks later a dunhill. I work at the door of a night club so I went and bought a nice little 50$ pipe to smoke at the door while I build up the cake on my nice pipes. I started smoking them to kick my 15 year long cigarette addiction and fell in love. While being new to pipes I am not new to the taste of tobacco. The flavors out of the castello are significantly better than the cheap pipe, now this might be the bowl size or the fact the castello is about 90% wood with a small(less than an inch) mouthpiece. But the two high end pipes smoke much cooler and smoother, but the castello is just a beautiful sweet smoke. I've recently smoked out of a few of my friends low end pipes and when I let her try the castello she was blow away with the smoothness it produced. Her pipes might have been soured or just not cared for, but the taste wasnt very good. just my experience so far.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FWIW, Good engineering and good wood are the crucial elements in my experience. I have pipes that deliver solid sweet smoking experiences in the price range from $2 thru $800+. I've had a couple of real disappointing pipes that were high end artisan made, which ran in the $5-700 range.

My experience of smoking pipes from a wide variety of makes, shapes, and periods is that you can find an excellent smokes for well under $100 bucks (like my $2 Ehrlich), but you give up the artistry in favor of basic functionality.

An expensive pipe will not necessarily smoke better than an inexpensive pipe. But you may find more consistency in quality from the mid-range on up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Well put Sable. One can spend an easy $1,000.00 for a beautiful pipe, silver fittings well done, bowl nicely figured and light, the bit graceful and perfectly fitted to the pipe and then find that it is the worst smoker ever. But, the odds favor that such a pipe will smoke as well as it looks.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
As I writ this, I'm smoking a Dunhill that is truly magnificent, but I've got a basket pipe or two that really deliver the goods, so I'm with Sable on this one. Top of the line craftsmanship can guarantee the quality of the briar, the carving, the engineering, in short--everything but the taste, but you do tend to expect superior taste from such a pipe. All that notwithstanding, we know the tale of the artisan who carved two pipes from the same chunk of briar. One was a great smoker, and the other not. It's still a product of nature, and as we know, Mother Nature is a bitch.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
In my opinion.. Its all personal preference. I have 30 pipes that smoke better than some 300 dollar pipes I have.. I think for me, I enjoy some of the more expensive pipes because of who made them, or where they came from. I spend more money because I respect and enjoy a particular pipe maker or company.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
in some cases with certain products, you get what you pay for. in other cases you just pay for a name (but they are typically known for quality and consistency)

but whenever I am faced with a similar question I remember this story
an old native American was sitting on a roadside selling clay pots. a gentleman stopped to browse and noticed that there were pots for $5 and next to them were identical pots for $10. when the man asked why the Indian replied, "some people like to spend $5 and some like to spend $10"
in other words, know exactly what you are getting for your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.