Do Estate Pipe Crimp the New Pipe Market?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
probably effects new pipe sales less then cheapo brand new pipes do. Basket pipes as they're sometimes called turn more dollars away from more expensive pipes I am sure. Oh wait do not forget about those other materials, those corn cob pipes I mean if word gets out how good they can be that's gotta cut into the sales of briars negatively. Honestly though I think it's one of those things where it's not really measurable. How many new pipes have been sold because someone got into pipe smoking because a nice estate pipe made dipping their toe into the water not so expensive for something they might not stick with. And then the PAD sets in. Or how many people were going to buy a pipe new or estate but went estate? I honestly think the long term over all effect of estate pipes is probably more of a net gain to pipe makers then a drain. That said I've never bought an estate pipe and the temptation only sets in when I see a pipe that I've fallen in love with and that is not available new, and then someone else snaps it up before I can figure out how to make space for it on the pipe shelf.

Interesting, my brain immediately went to "does ebay hurt the sales for retailers?"

But, then it occured to me that all new pipe retailers have an inventory of estate pipes also.
Do used pipes affect new pipe sales? Am I worried that pipe makers might start closing up shop? For such a niche market to such a small community of consumers I am more amazed that a company marketing to us can stay in business to begin with. We have something magical going on with collectors, hoarders, and even bunches of folks who buy pipes that don't even smoke them. Apparently there is room for everyone. Grabow is still cranking out the pipes, so are Savinelli, Chacom, Nat King, Askwith, etc, etc... the list of makers seems fairly endless.
What an amazing hobby we have here. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One plus of buying a good estate pipe, one that you might not choose to buy new at the higher price, is that it both teaches what you get at the higher price, and what you don't get. There are some beautiful features and traits of high end pipe like metal work, singular design, and often an open smooth draw. But at the same time, you may find that some of the low-end pipes you already own give you some of the same quality in smoking characteristics. Then you will know what you are and are not getting when you spend more. You'll be more content with your Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow, and know what you are looking for, and be more content, when you spend more.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I for one do not like the process of breaking in New pipes. I prefer the process of removing an old ghost to the process of taming new briar; so most of my collection (90%) is from the estate market.

Status
Not open for further replies.