Do Different Pipes Need Different Moisture Levels?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
Do some pipes like dryer or damper tobacco?

The reason I ask is I have a one pipe that seems to require very dry, almost crunchy, tobacco and a couple that like dryer tobacco. I also have a couple that seem to be able to smoke super damp tobacco.

I'm not getting gurgle or moisture in the heel, at least not from the pipe or tobacco. (My drooling issue is a problem sometimes.) I get hard to keep lit and in one pipe about 1/2 way into the bowl it just seems to stop burning. I get 2 puffs and out it goes. I've tried different tamping & packing to no success. Same tobacco, different pipe smokes just fine, or normal for me.

I smoke a lot of Burley, MacBaren London Burley, Golden Extra so those are the main offenders, but that pipe does it with VAs also.

Is the problem the dumb piper or the dumb pipe?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
What exactly is the pipe you are speaking about and a photo might help as well, cheers.

banjo

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
The one that gives me the most trouble is a bent Nording billiard. The other trouble child is a Sav Oscar(it's a conical bowl so packing is the most likely issue there), but mostly the Nording. It just seems the pipe likes dryer tobacco. I dry the tobacco at least twice as long for the Nording.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's something in the pipe causing the issue. Like maybe not cured all the way yet or something.
I'm more leaning towards it's me, not the pipe, but thought I'd ask. Maybe someone else has had this same problem.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
So Roth, you are saying I suck as a piper. Got it. :)
Could it be I didn't get it broke in well enough? The first half bowl smokes great, the second half not as much.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
Roth, no worries. I take nothing on line to personal.
The more I think about it, the cake may be the problem. These were both new pipes. My only new pipes, so I'll work with half bowls for a few. There is definitely less cake in the bottom half of both. These pipe never see aromatics, the Nording is my Burley pipe and the Sav my Virginia pipe. I have one briar and cobs for strong aromatics. I mainly smoke the lesser cased or topped blends.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
Carter Hal is nice, but I don't have any in the stash. I do have about 12 ounces of Granger. :lol:

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Roth is right on the money here about the cake. I have had to half bowl a few pipes to get the cake even, then they smoke very well.
Granger will form a cake fairly quick also, as will PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.