PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice find Al but I would certainly mount it to the bench rather than rely on its weight to hold it in place. That's how accidents happen [:roll:]
Well, perhaps. I don't exert much pressure using the rouges and plastic polish. With an double-power motor, I would expect less. The challenge is how to mount a double-arbor buffer. See the pix below, with the single-arbor, I have it mounted so the pad is off the edge of the table. I kind of work on the underside of the pad, as it spins away from me. That height is perfect. I could mount the dual-arbor in that spot, just at an angle, but that aims the object at the edge of the table.
I'm thinking of adding a 1" or so wood base on heavy rubber feet and trying it free style first.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
My wife would be much happier if my work station looked like yours Al, mine looks like Ace hardware threw up on a work bench

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A stainless steel table and gravity held motor with rubber feet sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me...assuming I understand you correctly.
Mind you, if you do have an accident it would seem that you have plenty of beers to soothe the pain :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's surprisingly sticky on the stainless table top.
Ha, no beer in that pile. That's my 98 yr old fathers survival stash: Gatorade, Ensure Plus (Dark Chocolate!) and Depends Adult diapers. One day we'll trade our stash of tobacco for similar I guess...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
With a good imagination, it wouldn't be hard to build or weld up a pedestal table, that is weighted at the bottom, and could be moved around with a two wheel dolly. Just sayin'. My buffer is newer and very heavy, and on rubber feet. It's own weight sitting on a wood bench makes it quite safe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have this stand from Harbor Freight, with my metal polishing motor. At 32", it is too low for pipe work, but I might have our local welding shop extend the base 6-8". I no longer do any serious metal polishing, so that unit just sits in my shed (1 hp, 3500 rpm machine).
Bench-grinder-tool-stand-grinding-buffing-wheel-storage-provided_image.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, my arbors have arrived and the motor installed, ready for use. I updated the Reborn Pipes entry from 2013 on my station setup, my how time flies!

https://rebornpipes.com/2013/08/19/my-buffing-motor-setup/
I installed a heavy-duty, double-insulated switch to replace the cheap plastic switch that came on the motor. Without a capacitor start, the switch takes a heavy hit. This one from Lowes.
20170617_115830.jpg

I decided to do a reversible mount. I replaced the rubber feet on the motor with four screws and drilled four holes in the table. The motor has enough weight that it sits nicely into the receiver holes. To use the opposite pad, I simply rotate the motor 180 degrees. This worked very well in testing. I can also easily pull the motor completely, should I need the temporary space.
20170617_115841.jpg

20170617_115825.jpg

Here's the work station with both motors. The first motor remains in the bolted down position, but I have a wing-nut for pad swaps, should I ever need the Tripoli (rarely used), Red rouge pads, etc.
20170617_115909.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.