Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something to think about... Of course if you have a pipe lighter and it works for you, that's great. They sell thousands of them, all of them, so they must work for some. My problems are, that the compressed gas lighter just never held the fluid for me. I have had two different guys at two different stores show me how to fill the things, using various techniques, they work for a while, never as long as a BIC. Then the Zippos... I actually love my Zippo, but one of the various things that can go wrong with one invariably do on me at times when it sucks. I get to the B&M lounge, spread out my pipe and tobaccos and related gear, get out my lighter, looking all cool and sophisticated. Cigar guys all looking over my shoulder watching my ritual, my process, and then I grab an Old Boy or my Zippo, click, click... no fluid or flint or some other weirdness, and I have to borrow a match or a Bic for someone, not cool, not suave. Out and about in the car, click click... I have to pull over at a convenience store and buy matches or a Bic. I have invested almost a thousand in all of the best lighters; a couple of different Coronas, Kiribi, a Lotus, a few that I can't remember their name, a few Zippos, and an everlasting match thingy. I have a special rack for them. I really like all of them, for the most part. And, I will carry one in my case, and I will use it if it is all in order. I am just not a fan of having to also tote around a bunch of gear to support my dang lighter, along with all of the other thing that are needed for pipes. But, Bics are easy, can be found anywhere, I can use it with one hand in the car, and they're cheap.

That's my thought on lighters. All in all, get one if you just want to, any of them are just as good or difficult with varying perks and flaws. Many are beautiful, if you are a tech geek like me. I advice getting one of each if you can afford it. But, maybe keep a Bic in the pipe bag as well.
However, if you just use any of them by holding the flame above the rim, without pointing the flame downward into the bowl, you'll get a good light and save your pipe the risk of burning the inside or the rim. Guys used to light their pipes by holding a burning chunk of ember from the fire, as long as they held it above the rim, it worked fine without hurting their pipes.
Anyways, this is just my thinking on it. There ain't no rules, so take it for what it is... my thoughts. :puffy: Keep it smokey...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
But, Bics are easy, can be found anywhere, I can use it with one hand in the car, and they're cheap.
And they don't have an angled flame, so they can burn the crap out of your finger, which is why I don't use them for pipes.
I have an IM Corona Old Boy and a Peterson Old Boy which I use. They hold enough butane to last for about two weeks at 2-3 bowls a day. The flint usually lasts a few months. They strike every time. They have a soft angled flame so I don't burn my fingers or char the rim of the pipe. The only downfall is if you're outside and there's a brisk wind it can be hard to stay lit. In windy conditions though I typically just duck into the garage to have a bowl. No wind there.

They hold enough butane to last for about two weeks at 2-3 bowls a day

That would be less than two days for me. :puffy:
And they don't have an angled flame, so they can burn the crap out of your finger

That was why I was explaining that I hold the flame above the rim, and I don't have to angle the flame downwards. I just Have the flame pointed up and slightly to the side, and my breath draws the heat down, not the flame. When I do this, with each puff sometimes, the tobacco has a flame that rises up from the chamber, without the flame from the lighter ever dipping downward. It gives me a cool light.

Similar to how the guys (back in the day) used to hold an ember (or chunk of coal) from the fireplace in tongs above their pipes and draw the heat downward, without scorching their pipes.
That would forgo the burning of fingers. But, if what you do works for you, then cool. Don't change. I was just trying to make sure that I wasn't conveying the misconception that I turn the Bic upside down or sideways.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was just trying to make sure that I wasn't conveying the misconception that I turn the Bic upside down or sideways.
So, do you hold the pipe upside down to light it? I'm not trying' to be sarcastic or an ass I'm just having a very hard time picturing how one would light a pipe with a straight flame Bic lighter without holding it upside down or sideways.

Try it... If you want...

Just hold the pipe as normal, not upside down if upside down is normal for you, ha ha.

Light the lighter, but just hold the lighter up but at a slight angle, at the 10:30 range on the clockface. But, about half and inch above the rim.

Then draw the heat down with a few strong but slow puffs. The flame doesn't have to dip downward. The tobacco if dry enough should just ignite from the heat, not the actual flame. And, if it is dark, you will see a wide flame jump slightly from your bowl with each puff. I get a completely even and cool light this way.
I just noticed that my uncles would hold the match way above their pipes when they lit them, and the flame never dipped down. This is just how I noticed the old guys doing it, when I was kid.
The benefit is that you won't risk charring the inside of your pipe, and it saves the rim. You may still get what I call cake creep, where the cake creeps out of the pipe onto the rim. But, that is easy to clean off. Much easier than trying to clean up charring on the rim.
I hope all of that explains it. If it works for you, then great. If not, then obviously your way is obviously working great for you.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
CosmicLore has convinced me. I've called a contractor to install a wood stove, a mason to build a chimney, and a buddy in West Virginia who is going to cut and cure me a cord of oak. By the Christmas holidays, I'll be able to light my pipe with an ember. And for only $8500. :lol:
Actually, I really have lit a pipe with an oak ember from the wood stove in my fishing cabin. It absolutely does add a sensual, primordial pleasure to the ritual. The burning oak splinter adds a real campfire taste to the blend, which is very pleasant.
BTW, I did try Cosmics method of lighting without touching flame to tobacco. Takes a bit longer but maybe because I'm unpracticed. The tip was timely because I have a new pipe with a black rusticated body but with a wide, polished briar rim with some beautiful grain. Most of the time I really don't care but I really don't want to singe the rim of this pipe.

When I'm at the house, I use large kitchen matches much of the time. I think they're kindest to your pipes. They can be hard to find now-a-days but Wegmann's carries them, if you're lucky enough to have one in your area.
I've ordered a Nimrod that is new, still in the box, with unread handbook. I really don't know if it a collectors item but it will be for me. I also ordered a Vertigo General for every day use. That will be my traveling/commuting lighter. I now have a light-time supply/
I'm going to have to open a second bank account to ensure that I don't dip into the grocery money to pay for pipe stuff.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
No, tips are most welcome. I know you've been around with 5k+ posts, so you'll agree that most we see have been posted many times before. But in this case, although I've seen it, and sometimes practiced your method, I'd completely forgotten the technique.
And in one of your subsequent posts, you mentioned a qualifier that would be important to the technique, e.g, the tobacco must be dry enough.
I probably smoke my tobaccos too wet for optimal burning. I do think that blends on the moist side render more flavor than those on the dry side. I'll dry the next bowl and give it another go. As I said, I have a couple of new pipes and I really do want to protect the rims.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I personally just use matches. If it's too windy, a BIC works fine. Angle with the wind, and you won't hit your hand! :D Personally, though, I prefer matches. It's just so much smoother, and in my opinion, 10x classier for some reason!

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
This certainly is a fun hobby; lots of ways to do things and lots of stuff to try. I learn something everyday from this place!
Just curious:

Do you guys favor the Nimrod lighter that looks like a Zippo, or the one that looks like a bolt with a nut on it?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Nut and Bolt is unique.
If I want a lighter that looks like a zippo, I'll get a zippo. 8)
I own both, albeit the Nimrod is in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.