PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2009
Hello all,

I recently acquired a pipe from the singer in my band, it belonged to his grandfather, purchesed back when he was in the service in Germany. I've looked up a few methods on how to disinfect the mouthpiece but was wondering what this community thought. It is the second pipe I've recieved from him, the first pipe he gave me I just cleaned as best I could with a reamer and bristled cleaners, took a chance, lit up, and I guess, "broke" it in a second time. Any help will be greatly appriciated...
Cheers,

Mikeyroteuthis Infernalis

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have successfully removed white-ish plaque (crud) caked on and inside the stem using lemon juice. If it's stubborn soaking will probably help. Of course, don't rely on lemon juice to sterilize the stem; but physically removing old plaque will also remove the bacteria that may dwell within it. That's my 2¢ worth.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Good old Wild Turkey. Good for what ails you or you're pipe. Maybe some stem polish too.

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
I have this long lasting notion that whisky soaked pipe cleaners fix most things and have always used them on my own pipes, but I have read a lot about disinfecting used estates on other sites.
They raise the spectre of Tuberculosis and all advocate soaking the stems in a diluted bleach solution until black bits begin to come off the vulcanite, then flushing thoroughly with clean water. This they say leaves the stem slighly rough so it needs a rub over with very fine grain sandpaper and then a polish with say toothpaste or metal polish and possibly a final coat of beeswax.
Hope this helps
Gerry

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin Said: I haven't read this in any of the conventional wisdom, but I have found that after a pipe is cleaned, that olive oil will give the wood and the stem a nice shine.
I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil all of the time. Some people say that it could make the pipe start tasting sour because the olive oil goes rancid on a pipe, but I have never experienced that.
It leaves a great shine on both bowl and stem and I have been doing it for years with no adverse affects on my pipes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I hope this is not too heavy sounding and/or more than you needed to know...
I investigated the use of vegetable oils on wood a few years ago when I was reconditioning a clarinet, which is made of grenadilla wood. What I found was that extra virgin olive oil, and expeller pressed almond oil (from health food stores) are good choices. If rancidity is a worry, the addition of 1½% α-tocophenyl, an anti-oxidant, will help. That's a fancy-schmansy name for vitamin E -- the oil that's enclosed in those little gelatin balls you would otherwise swallow.
My overall impression, not based on a deep knowledge of briar, is that you should avoid using those oils on really valuable pipes. I think applying a good coat of carnauba wax, or easier, Paragon Wax would be far less risky.
For the science on this check out Wood, Oil, and Water, by Raymond & Lee Dessy.

Status
Not open for further replies.