Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I always found SWR to be about like smoking kerosene soaked cardboard.

I’ve never found a C&D I liked enough to buy more than once.

Mac B Old Dark Fired tastes more more like Ol’ Tire Fire with hints of burning cat hair, and notes of melted clown shoes. It’s room note is reminiscent of burnt clutch with a fleeting whiffs of xylene. It burns to a hard glassy slag and can be used as an heat source for thermally bonding train rails.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I always found SWR to be about like smoking kerosene soaked cardboard.

Mac B Old Dark Fired tastes more more like Ol’ Tire Fire with hints of burning cat hair, and notes of melted clown shoes. It’s room note is reminiscent of burnt clutch with a fleeting whiffs of xylene. It burns to a hard glassy slag and can be used as an heat source for thermally bonding train rails.
Review of the Year!

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Some interesting selections here. I don't know that there's any tobacco I just flat out hate, but I tend to avoid burley or rustica blends. But strangely enough I don't mind the fire cured Virginia/burley blends from Gawith or Velvet (which seems to be a burley that others dislike). I suppose my least favorite blend would either be Haunted Bookshop or HH Rustica.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
This is a very entertaining thread, I read it start to finish. I can see there are some people who don't like tobacco that I enjoy like new Minister 403.
On the other hand some of the things that some of you don't like sound positively disgusting like Captain Black Grape!

The only two tobacco's I have tried recently that I found unsmokeable were Rattray's Sterling Flake and Dan Tobaccos Tordenskjold Pibe Tobac Virginia Slices.

The Sterling Flake has way more Latakia then I like. Not sure why I bought it in the first place!
The Tordenskjold is way too sweet for my taste and it smells like someone spilled really bad vanilla perfume in the tin!

If anyone here likes either of those or wants to try them, PM me and I'll send them in your direction!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Autumn Evening tastes like somebody found a 10-year-old Eggo waffle in the back of the freezer, soaked it in gas-station-tier maple syrup, left it on the counter for a month to add staleness, and then crumbled it into my pipe.

MacB's Virginia #1 had the depth and complexity of a whoopie cushion, and it left my tongue feeling like I licked my driveway for half an hour.

And I am not very fond of Carolina Red Flake.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I’ve been wonderfully enlightened here by what folks do in their leisure hours: smoking jock straps, licking their driveway, sniffing hobos, burning clown shoes, etc. I’ve lived such a narrow and cloistered life, it seems. I really need to broaden my experiential horizons.
You've never licked a driveway? Next you're gonna tell me you don't know how to use the three seashells.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
War Horse Green was the only bowl I dumped in the garden twice. I'm not ready to to completely write the blend off, it was tried very fresh and maybe time will tone down the topping some. I hope so because I'm worried it'll ghost my basement. I read the reviews that say it's Lakeland licorice, I now understand what they're saying. I think those were actual shredded licorice twists I thought was cavendish.

I'm not trying to yuck anyone's yum. But War Horse Green takes some explanation for me to get, because I've been doing it wrong.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I really need to broaden my experiential horizons.
Same here!

smoking jock straps, licking their driveway, sniffing hobos, burning clown shoes, etc.
Unfortunately, these are the four best activities, and they've all been taken. What's the use of just copying everyone else, right? Some serious brainstorming is in order.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’ve been wonderfully enlightened here by what folks do in their leisure hours: smoking jock straps, licking their driveway, sniffing hobos, burning clown shoes, etc. I’ve lived such a narrow and cloistered life, it seems. I really need to broaden my experiential horizons.
You haven’t lived until you’ve had true French chaussure de clown rôtie. Trust me, it’s much better than roasted mime shoe. Just don’t burn it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
That's basically how I always felt until very recently. I found one that really jives with me and I can't get enough.

This is a very entertaining thread, I read it start to finish. I can see there are some people who don't like tobacco that I enjoy like new Minister 403.
On the other hand some of the things that some of you don't like sound positively disgusting like Captain Black Grape!

The only two tobacco's I have tried recently that I found unsmokeable were Rattray's Sterling Flake and Dan Tobaccos Tordenskjold Pibe Tobac Virginia Slices.

The Sterling Flake has way more Latakia then I like. Not sure why I bought it in the first place!
The Tordenskjold is way too sweet for my taste and it smells like someone spilled really bad vanilla perfume in the tin!

If anyone here likes either of those or wants to try them, PM me and I'll send them in your direction!
Pretty sure Stirling Flake doesn't have latakia.