PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Man, has the economy gotten so bad that lawyers can't make enough money to buy real pipe tobacco? wow!

No I can afford the best.

What fascinates me is in those little smoke shops they are selling $10 to $12 a pound pipe tobacco that is honestly good pipe tobacco.

The store I was at today and spent six dollars, one customer was in front of me buying a pound of Gambler Gold and no tubes, and another came in and bought a Dr Grabow and a pound of Buoy Gold.

There’s a lot of everyday pipe smokers who smoke the lowest priced tobaccos in a pipe.

And they know something most of us don’t, all those RYO type tobaccos are good, non aromatic, high quality ribbon cut pipe tobaccos. There is fierce competition at the low end of the market and they are selling a whole lot of tobacco.

We are paying a lot extra for propylene glycol and flavorings, you know?

No I can afford the best.

What fascinates me is in those little smoke shops they are selling $10 to $12 a pound pipe tobacco that is honestly good pipe tobacco.

The store I was at today and spent six dollars, one customer was in front of me buying a pound of Gambler Gold and no tubes, and another came in and bought a Dr Grabow and a pound of Buoy Gold.

There’s a lot of everyday pipe smokers who smoke the lowest priced tobaccos in a pipe.

And they know something most of us don’t, all those RYO type tobaccos are good, non aromatic, high quality pipe tobaccos.

We are paying a lot extra for propylene glycol and flavorings, you know?
As I had said earlier, I started off smoking RYO in my pipe, but once I tasted good pipe tobacco, I didn't stick with RYO. And, your wrong about all pipe tobaccos having PG and flavorings. RYO also has PG and flavorings. It just isn't as noticeable.

And, sure, a pair of General Dollar tennis shoes may work as well as a pair of Nikes, but no one who doesn't have a mental illness and can afford a pair of Nikes would wear Dollar General tennis shoes.

The one thread that runs through all of your posts is "the cheapest is the best." Good for you, but you also say a lot of things about the other tobaccos that just isn't true.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have the same problem .

In Missouri Four Aces is taxed at $2.83 a pound federal and 10% of wholesale state tax. So is Capstan.

If Four Aces costs $11 a pound there’s $2.83 federal and maybe 75 cents state tax.

Look at why there are few cheap smoke shops in Florida. $2.83 a pound federal tax plus 25% of wholesale and a 60% surcharge.

Xxx

The primary excise taxes on tobacco in Florida are on cigarettes, though many states also have taxes on other tobacco products like cigars, snuff, or e-cigarettes. The tax on cigarettes is 33.9 cents per cigarette if 1,000 cigarettes weigh no more than 3 pounds, 67.8 cents per cigarette if weighing more than 3 pounds per 1,000 cigarettes and the cigarettes are shorter than 6 inches long and other surcharges relative to the weight and length of the cigarettes. A tax on all other tobacco products of 25% of wholesale price and a surcharge of 60% of wholesale price to both those who distribute and buy tobacco products.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
In Missouri Four Aces is taxed at $2.83 a pound federal and 10% of wholesale state tax. So is Capstan.

If Four Aces costs $11 a pound there’s $2.83 federal and maybe 75 cents state tax.

Look at why there are few cheap smoke shops in Florida. $2.83 a pound federal tax plus 25% of wholesale and a 60% surcharge.

Xxx

The primary excise taxes on tobacco in Florida are on cigarettes, though many states also have taxes on other tobacco products like cigars, snuff, or e-cigarettes. The tax on cigarettes is 33.9 cents per cigarette if 1,000 cigarettes weigh no more than 3 pounds, 67.8 cents per cigarette if weighing more than 3 pounds per 1,000 cigarettes and the cigarettes are shorter than 6 inches long and other surcharges relative to the weight and length of the cigarettes. A tax on all other tobacco products of 25% of wholesale price and a surcharge of 60% of wholesale price to both those who distribute and buy tobacco products.
So looks like I need to buy on line, or when I’m out of state. Thanks

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Rouseco Golden Harvest Yellow, $12 a pound.

But there are no bad brands of cheap tobacco in the stores, I’ve tried yet.

The store owners tell me to avoid silver brands, those are ultra mild.

Golden Harvest Yellow is close to a straight Virginia. No additives or flavorings.

It’s poor man’s Capstan.

I've actually been using Golden Harvest Yellow as an RYO tobacco for a couple years now and definitely like it the best of all the cheapo big bag tobaccos I've tried. It tastes very clean with no detachable toppings to my palate, though I'm pretty confident it's a Virginia/Burley mix and not just a straight Virginia.

If you're looking for a really nice and superlatively inexpensive straight Virginia though then give Daughters & Ryan Three Sails a try. It's shag cut so I think it performs better as a RYO tobacco than a pipe tobacco, but you'll definitely get the full grassy bright Virginia experience from it.

Reactions: Briar Lee

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Whole leaf and D&R are what I smoke for some time now. I only want the flavor of tobacco leaf
I do too. That's one of the reason why these "RYO Type" tobaccos interest me. Many of them seem to have minimal flavorings. And it seems they have little if any PG. I'm going to try some of the "red bags," see how they compare to the dark burley I usually smoke.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I once scored a big can of Bugler from the late 80s from Pipestud.

It was legit delicious. I rolled many squares, and packed many bowls with it.

Bugler is still sold as a straight up taxed $24 a pound cigarrete tobacco, so is Top.

They are really good cigarette tobaccos, mild and flavorful. They are moist, highly flavored, mild.

If you like them, you’ll just be in love with any of the red, blue or gold pillow sack blends.

Silver blends are mild like Bugler and Top.

Cobler

Lurker
Mar 3, 2024
So far I've bought two of the big plastic bag "pipe" tobaccos.

OHM Turkish Red: quite nice. Lovely aroma in the bag, slightly spicy smoke. I'd guess it's like old early 1900s Camel in that while it has some Oriental tobacco, it may also have flavored burley pulling some of the weight as an "Oriental".

Gambler Gold: (purchase inspired by Briar Lee's recent lauding of Gold blends). Seems like good quality tobacco, but just kind of bland. There isn't as much choice in smoke shops around here - lots of OHM and Gambler, but little else in the bagged pipe tobacco tier. I may try the OHM Gold "Au Naturelle" next. As someone else said, I suspect these Gold blends aren't straight Virginia, just from visual inspection.

Gambler is around 85% foreign tobacco, as an aside. I wonder which countries, types and curing methods?

I think of these bagged tobaccos as old-time "smoking tobacco" instead of being consecrated as only RYO or only pipe.