Discolored Stonehenge Flake....What is this ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
So I just opened a 4 year old tin of GLP Stonehenge Flake, my first tin of this tobacco. There was a lot of paper in the tin, had never seen that much before. But this post is about the white color that appeared on the flakes on the top and bottom of the tin. Anyone have any idea what this might be ? I've never seen it before. IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0056.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A good post! It looks like bloom, a favorable develpment. If it's fluffy or smells "off", it's likely mold, or possibly mould!

You may get replies swearing it's "plume", a word stolen from pipe smokers, meaning "Bloom".

You may get folks sure that it's one or the other and toss it. Don't throw it out!

Reactions: LotusEater

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Post edited for clarity and punctuation.

Do as jpmcwjr says. It looks like bloom, but without a better photo you can't tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

PennyStonks

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Heavenly goodness. It’s a byproduct of the aging and fermentation process.

Unless it’s fuzzy and smells like a dirty sock. Then it’s heartbreaking mold and you toss the whole thing in the trash. Like @chasingembers posted, if it sparkles you hit the jackpot.
Unless you’re a retailer and then it’s ALWAYS plume

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
So what is plume / bloom. ??
It's a white crystal substance that sometimes appears on tobacco, typically after being stored in a tin or jar for a few years. Pipe smokers debate over what the crystals consist of and whether they actually make the tobacco smoke better. It's unpredictable and doesn't always occur regardless of how old the tobacco is; however most smokers take it as a sign of good fortune and that the cellaring is going well. Along with mold (plume's evil adversary) it represents the lore and mystique of pipe smoking.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's a white crystal substance that sometimes appears on tobacco, typically after being stored in a tin or jar for a few years. Pipe smokers debate over what the crystals consist of and whether they actually make the tobacco smoke better. It's unpredictable and doesn't always occur regardless of how old the tobacco is; however most smokers take it as a sign of good fortune and that the cellaring is going well. Along with mold (plume's evil adversary) it represents the lore and mystique of pipe smoking.
Got those crystals on a box of semois cheroots and oh my god did they go from good to sublime.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting. Didn't know it also happened on cigars
oh yes and more often then with pipe tobacco. Then again the idea of cellaring pipe tobacco seems like only a recent thing as far it being common. In fact many posts about it with pipe tobacco used to reference I know with cigars it works this way, is it the same with pipe tobacco?

Reactions: logs

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting. Didn't know it also happened on cigars
The word "plume" came from the cigar world and unfortunately some brethren here have adopted it in place of "Bloom" which describes the crystals that can form on pipe tobacco.

Bloom is what happens; plume is the shape of the bloom, happening almost exclusively in cigars.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If it's crystalline it's flavor! puffy
If it's fuzzy it's fungus. 🤮

I've got several old tins of that blend. They've all looked like that. Hadn't had a fuzzy one yet. Enjoy.

Reactions: jpmcwjr