PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hello everyone,

Have you ever looked forward to a tobacco, only to be woefully disappointed with it? I am experiencing just that with Early Morning Pipe. Given how much I love Presbyterian Mix, I thought this would be a slower start to the day. Now it may well just be my palate - but it smokes and smells like I have filled my bowel with the contents of 5 crushed Red Marlboro....

...am I smoking it too dry or too moist? I have tried both but get zero flavour. I am not looking for it to be as aromatic as Pres Mix or 965 etc....but its currently a massive let-down.

Thoughts....?

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Hello everyone,

Have you ever looked forward to a tobacco, only to be woefully disappointed with it? I am experiencing just that with Early Morning Pipe. Given how much I love Presbyterian Mix, I thought this would be a slower start to the day. Now it may well just be my palate - but it smokes and smells like I have filled my bowel with the contents of 5 crushed Red Marlboro....

...am I smoking it too dry or too moist? I have tried both but get zero flavour. I am not looking for it to be as aromatic as Pres Mix or 965 etc....but its currently a massive let-down.

Thoughts....?
Presbyterian and EMP are my favorite tobaccos to smoke in the morning with an espresso. I’m not sure why you’re not getting any flavor from EMP although I have heard others say the same thing about both EMP and Presbyterian. To me EMP is mellow sweet and smokey. I love it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still have unopened Dunhill labeled tins of Nightcap and Royal Yacht, but I've never been curious to try EMP.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a few tins of fresh Haddos Delight so I decided to dump some cash on a ten year aged tin.

Well, the tin was puffy, like rotted meat.

The tin had a light shake sound to it, kinda like the BB rolling around in my head looking for a brain.

When I opened it, the smell, well, the smell kinda had a road kill In Louisiana during July vibe.

When I smoked it, it tasted like a hobo that had been marinated in Hawaiian Tropic Suntan oil roasted over a dumpster of burning raccoons.

So yes, I was disappointed

I had a few tins of fresh Haddos Delight so I decided to dump some cash on a ten year aged tin.

Well, the tin was puffy, like rotted meat.

The tin had a light shake sound to it, kinda like the BB rolling around in my head looking for a brain.

When I opened it, the smell, well, the smell kinda had a road kill In Louisiana during July vibe.

When I smoked it, it tasted like a hobo that had been marinated in Hawaiian Tropic Suntan oil roasted over a dumpster of burning raccoons.

So yes, I was disappointed
Damn son! They way you talk about Haddos always has me running to pop another tin of it. Sorta turnin me on. puffy

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
EMP is just okay I think I gave it @ 2.9 Pipe rating. Some folks see it as a Turkish/Oriental forward delight. The forward registration, at least in IMO, is the Cyprian leaf, which is tasty keep in mind. Other than that, I find that EMP has some significant mechanical concerns (bite, harshness and self-extinguishing tendencies) Generally my thoughts on its charisma were:

"Regarding the presence of excitable moving ambience and colorized nuancing that are typical of a well-constructed English blend, Early Morning Pipe demonstrates a restraint that serves to minimize its achieved complexity."

But to each his own

Reactions: marzipan

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello everyone,

Thoughts....?
I feel like most tobaccos need to breath first. They're a little dull if you smoke them right out of the tin. And while I do like EMP and even crave it sometimes. I find it on the boring side of things. And the main selling point of it is that the flavor isn't that bombastic. Though I think my biggest tobacco disapointment was Bob's Chocolate flake. I heard so many raves about it of the kind I've now learned to totally ignore. I found it to be one of the most meh smokes I have ever experienced. If my grandmother bought me pipe tobacco that would have been the one she bought. Not bad but I have never even considered getting more of it. But the thing is with that name I was hoping to enjoy it more then moderately.
EMP is good but I'd enjoy many others more. If you like Presbyterian I would say go out and get a tin of Consummate Gentleman by Ashtons. I think that's the single most under rated mild to mid English blend. In fact Presbyterian hit me as a more polished but more boring near match to C.G. (seems to help sell a blend if you call it by it's initials).

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
EMP was my morning routine for years. Exactly what JimPM said, very forward with the Orientals. Lighter on the VA too than Presby mixture. EMP might not be for you. Jar it and try it again in a month. Kramers makes a blend called Father Dempsey that to me is very much like Presby mixture just a little sweeter.

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
When I started back smoking a pipe, EMP was the first tobacco I smoked. I think it's a straight English, I could be wrong. It wasn't bad on the first smoke. I found it gets better the more I smoke it. To me it smells a lot better than a cigerate. I smoked the first bowl of it in my Jeep, The next day you couldn't tell I smoked it in the truck. Pipe tobacco is a lot different than cigerate tobacco. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Sgetz