PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gimlet

Can anyone tell me why pictures I've posted in threads have disappeared to be replaced by a string of text?
I generally drag and drop pictures straight from my Google photo store which is where my phone uploads them automatically. The last one I posted in WAYS has gone but the original is still there in Google photos.
What am I doing wrong?

G

Gimlet

The selfie and Chacom pictures are working for me. When you go to quote a previous post, the picture links will be replaced by "View attachment XXXXX", is that what you're seeing?
No, just lines and lines of gobbledygook.
My latest Chacom pic and the selfie were saved to the pictures folder on my laptop and then browsed using insert image, rather than dragged and dropped. Don't know if that made a difference.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
No, just lines and lines of gobbledygook.
My latest Chacom pic and the selfie were saved to the pictures folder on my laptop and then browsed using insert image, rather than dragged and dropped. Don't know if that made a difference.

For the images you used drag and drop, it looks like the JPG image files were posted as the text/letters you would see if you renamed a JPG file as a text file and opened it in Notepad or some kind of text editor.

Reactions: MattRVA
G

Gimlet

For the images you used drag and drop, it looks like the JPG image files were posted as the text/letters you would see if you renamed a JPG file as a text file and opened it in Notepad or some kind of text editor.
That could be it. I did open the image in the edit page before dragging it, rather than dragging it straight from the folder. But what I don't understand is it appeared correctly in the thread for a few days and then suddenly turned to text for no apparent reason.

Reactions: MattRVA
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I found one of the problem posts: ***What Are You Smoking, December 2023?*** :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/what-are-you-smoking-december-2023.101948/page-108#post-36940004

I believe when you dragged-and-dropped, it tried to create an active link to your Google account. And then when that session expired, so did your link:

I think as long as you upload pictures to the site, they will work.

G

Gimlet

I found one of the problem posts: ***What Are You Smoking, December 2023?*** :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/what-are-you-smoking-december-2023.101948/page-108#post-36940004

I believe when you dragged-and-dropped, it tried to create an active link to your Google account. And then when that session expired, so did your link:

I think as long as you upload pictures to the site, they will work.
Thank you. I looked for the post in question but couldn't find it. The WAYS thread moves pretty fast.
That makes perfect sense. I drag and drop on other sites and it works. Guess for this site I'll upload direct between my device and the site in future.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I saw the 'gap' where a photo might have been, but no more. The URL in the link is screwed up, and very long. Thanks, Google.

I think it's probably fine to drag and drop into the WAYS thread.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You can drag and drop a photo that is on your computer into the "add photo" icon dialog box, or you can add a URL link to an online photo, but the link has to be to a photo (i.e. link address ends in ".jpg" or ".png"). If you try to add a URL to a page (i.e., link ends in ".html"), it isn't going to work. Your best bet to add photos is directly from your computer or phone. That way, the actual photo gets saved to the PipesMagazine server and you avoid all the link issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.