PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gimlet

Trying out my brand new Chacom Montmartre with a bowl of Petersons University flake.
Hadn't intended to buy this pipe. I had a Savinelli and a Barling in mind but the Savinelli was much larger than I wanted and I thought the Barling was expensive. I've always looked past these yellow stemmed MontMartres in favour of the black Chacom Champs Elysees but seeing them both side by side the Montmartres looked the nicer in the flesh.
A really nice well made pipe. I'm warming to Chacom. This is the second one I've bought and I'm quite impressed
ABLVV86--edJjU4w--MGp5yiuniSMxiCv3DS57m3H9q9BVifl6fNSXdHaRqXObFDOGpDLalaRpnw3wkYtkJYHozWMYfEtYDG5hgsBT-4GbSMvpqm9A9FkBF_XXAcPkfXeHhO6KkwFT6WHG9RJGKU9C0-M_U-XtitOJiYiPeIAIt3BHtCI7Be1javKRww_LxYor2legiNHppyfCF4Nwvg_vkL21VfO1gCjm8FlGC7Qm2loUQDTkwGBQIhFT2tLpQuH8NAKtVL9cNZBhMBFfNpTEZBXvup1MP3YZIhXwQIdjxkSW9BYPrDp45pDg6pghbLwccYTVNI90IwVf_knqeL6YWVhXY1BybBtv8mgUMeLFMQ__VzmYoH7hi9fkaqnq8wxivN9stOfVA6cuvs-qqCLKkE3G5Ko2Fg0T-Rjjtc-mVa5i-klDVdfLMctjbRtmle0QSEzSqdKoRX403dxZuP5FGzCE0EPB1WdYX6GmvpBTQWR5RR6rUqOBvAmGKCWDX3t8od7b6WgoEpXUTbzpBH5FVnMc5eXN9E18rlC2TJ9SNrWFrwfXLpYWY6kStFbmurAj5ltWrK1ya_asPc6BQcGUI3G8JFkmvUmKtAUmrJJiQ5thPkUyNPZ0sfctt8rxppGfPEC-I9V7k5qYk9wIsBTOVxlRn6C4-lx0IPmg9z_aoU2i3PAT0ZS4JedGglUGBdtnYXmWuJ1DZgvDL85fta8bDwWHyMSQ1AkXgl7xDxPUM9R4feYyL3ilDo683fCdmR9-QLwnlmSxPGC57WBUbBAIR8xGSh5FhVD5gZtFFLPY6zdYtJ2PnriX_o8tz120M0vwl-6W8QIjBBcGOq7V34kTjV_MJ-mv7EZmUL4Ba8Ay63PwP79K7zoA9kMBmRVPbPiASoK08BF_AcLPKLZHB414foXHopI36DkxzwafSUAMU=w807-h607-s-no-gm

As for the University flake, it's OK. I'm not getting the rich flavours of plum and fig that they claim for it. Perhaps just a hint on the tongue. It's perfectly pleasant and smokes very well but otherwise an average, lightly cased aro virginia. Probably won't become a regular smoke though I wouldn't turn it down in an emergency. On the other hand it's a close relative to the tastier burley and perique Petersons I prefer and so probably a good choice for breaking a new pipe as I can't think there'll be anything in it that will ghost.
Looking forward to trying some deluxe Navy roll in this pipe.

G

Gimlet

Wrapping up a half bowl of Elizabethan Mixture. Tins running low. I really dig this blend. It has a nice flavor, sweet and spice and smooth as can be. Strength is satisfying without being too heavy. Definitely could be an all day blend for me. I'm glad I revisited it after getting the right cadence down.
I agree with that. Elizabethan is a lovely smoke with a gorgeous nose scent off the bowl. It makes a wonderful sipper. A favourite of mine. If you like that you'll probably like Irish Cask as well, if you haven't tried it already. Very similar with a gently sweet whisky note. Both lovely. I'm intending to dedicate my new Chacom to these Petersons if they get on with each other.

G

Gimlet

Seat-of-the-pants mixture of C&D DFK and red and bright Virginia, in a cob I use for dark-fired and Lakeland blends. Unlike most blending experiments, I’m very pleased with this one!

View attachment 269656
I hope you kept notes. The best blends I've ever come up with are those where I've tipped the remains of one or more tins into another and then can't remember what I've mixed with what..

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I like your style Ben. Whenever I click on the latest WAYS post and scroll upwards from below, I always know when it's one of your pipes before I see your username.
That's one of your best yet. Cool looking pipe. And a great pic as always.
Oh, thanks! This was my first Satou, I got it as an unsmoked estate and will never sell it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.