Dirt cheap meerschaum pipes for testing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thepipesman

Lurker
Apr 13, 2023
So a few years back, in the early 2000s my local shop had these little miniature meerschaum pipes for about $5 or so. They had cheap plastic stems like the corn cob pipes you see today. They were nothing fancy although surprisingly they did have machine carved designs. I have long since lost mine and was wondering if anything like this exists today? All I see online are fancy expensive meerschaums. I was just curious to try the material again before committing any big bucks for a quality piece. I was a rookie back then at pipe smoking, though I still am now I definitely know a bit more and wanted see how meerschaum compares to my briar and corn cob.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I have a Paykoc mini which was $45 after tax at my B&M. I love it, it's a great tasting pipe and is perfect for quick smokes (half an hour tops). Perfect for holding cheroots too, I enjoy a Toscano every now and again. I'm a little miffed with myself knowing I could've gotten a mini meer for much cheaper but oh well.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
From the description it sounds like these are pressed meerschaum. Does anyone have any experience with these?

"Although our Exclusive™ line of Royal Meerschaum Pipes are not 100% block meerschaum, our pipes are hand designed and specially formulated. Royal Meerschaum Exclusive™ Pipes are made with natural minerals and top quality Turkish Meerschaum, and will color just like block meerschaum pipes."

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not sure a not 100% Meer and what you expect to be a cheap plastic stem gives much insight into the experience of a nice one?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Many of the mini-meers are made from pressed meerschaum unless stated otherwise. Basically they take the shavings from the hand carved meerschaum pipes, and grind them up and mix them with a resin and place it into a mold to create the pipe. So while it is Turkish meerschaum, it's not a pipe coming from a true block. These pipes will color, but typically won't color as fast as a block meerschaum will.

A few of the pipe shops in Portland, OR which cater to all forms of smoking, (i.e. pipes, cigars, cigarettes, vape, and marijuana, etc.) sell the mini-meers. Maybe try a pipe shop in your area that caters to all forms of smoking and you may find some available. A handful of years ago they used to be all over ebay for about $20 or so. Heck you could possibly find some on Amazon at this point.