PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Reviews and review sites are I think extremely important. How many times have we read "an luxurious combination of the finest tobaccos to provide a satisfying smoke" or similar on a tobacco tin. It doesn't mean anything. Of course, there is great variation between individuals. It is funny to scroll down tobaccoreviews.com and see the strength ratings
medium

medium

mild/medium

mild/medium

mild

medium

overwhelmingly strong
I remember one reviewer who said Condor was "foul-tasting, absolutely disgusting and so strong I nearly fainted."

So I know not to read any more of his reviews.
One significant feature of many reviews is "I used to love this 20 years ago but now it is terrible. All the flavour has gone and it is weak."

I think many of these sentiments stem from bad memory and the inevitable decline of taste-buds. If you started out with Dunhill Flake, then went on to Condor, then Revor Plug, then 25 years later you pick up some Dunhill Flake, it is not going to taste the same, even if it does actually taste the same. I used to yearn to "be able to handle" something like Irish flake, but now I am trying not to blow my taste buds out.

I think the most difficult concept for newbies to understand is strength vs intensity of taste. McConnell's Scottish Cake is medium in strength, verging on mild, but it stimulates the mouth wonderfully. 965 is strong in nicotine but not nearly as heavy in flavour as one would think. Tasty and complex but not dark. Gawith's Navy Flake is chewy to me.

One thing we can all be thankful for is that many tobacco reviewers do make the effort to get their point across. Browsing through masterofmalt.com is often very dispiriting with "Best whisky on Earth!" right next to "Not worth cleaning your toilet with".

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I also find the overall rating useful with blends with many reviews. If hundreds of reviewers give a blend an average of, say 3.5, it must be good. It might not be for me, and that's where the individual reviews are helpful, but it must be good.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I tend to discount gushing reviews the same as reviews that absolutely trash what is known as good quality tobacco. They are outliers .
Look for a level headed review giving something high marks with a fairly broad consensus , then you know bobs your uncle .

Status
Not open for further replies.