PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
What styles tend to suit different situations?

For instance I'm guessing you are not likely to take a churchwarden lunting. A churchwarden is more of a sit down and read a book sort of pipe.

Mowing the lawn or fishing seems to be cob territory.

What other situations are there where a bent, straight or certain types of pipe might suit best?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I refuse to multitask 😁

I almost always smoke my pipe(s) when I am relaxing on the front porch or backyard patio.
Never ever on the go

Choice of pipes ? 🤔
Always what I feel like on the day.
Except perhaps my birth year pipe on my birthday.
Or Dad’s birth year pipe on his

Now if I had a roadster and a full head of hair, it might be fun to smoke this D9790EB1-25CA-43A8-9AD8-C5E70B93DCFD.jpeg

Or this
152301BF-F545-4AB8-9B4C-3AA707A5C95B.jpeg

And experience the wind (and smoke) through my hair
But alas, those days are long past rotf

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I smoke my smaller bowled Comoys' and Savinelli 321 or a cob in the mornings and my bigger bowled Northern Briars in the evening. It's all about what you deem as a fitting pipe for whatever occasion, unless you just have to have a specific pipe for a certain style of tobacco. I also refuse to multitask while smoking.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve tried doing some yardwork with a pipe in my mouth, but there’s too much bending over, exertion and exhalation involved with some of it that I reserve pipe smoking for sitting around and relaxing. I’m too afraid to take my finer pipes on walks for fear of dropping and damaging them; I would take a cob or a beater, but usually opt for a cigar when it comes to walks.

If I’m tasting component tobacco for blends, I’ll use some tiny pipes for very short sampling smokes; if I’m watching a mixed martial arts event, I will almost always lean towards a large chambered pipe that doesn’t require refilling so as not to miss any action—knockouts happen in an instant, so looking away from the screen is not ideal—UFC fight events are generally about six hours long, with an hour long post-show. My larger chambered pipes provide four to five hours of smoking time (with the right cut of tobacco) with a single filling, so that works best for my sports TV viewing.

Most of my other pipes will provide one to two hours of smoking time—I might work on an illustration or design project, which requires some stops and starts (using the computer often requires two handed operation and keystrokes and I tend not to clench), or I’ll surf the Web or watch vids while smoking.

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
Pretty much smoke whatever pipe I want wherever. Only exception would be mowing the lawn and that’s mostly because of the wind. And when I play piano I use a pipe that hangs well or I can clench.

Almost all of my pipes are rusticated or sandblasted, so they are easy to get a grip on. In fact the only pipe I’ve ever broken was a smooth finish.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I'd say the only 'rule' I adhere to is no meers when I'm doing something where my hands are going to get dirty. Another thing I tend to do (not all the time though) if I'm going to be smoking and using my hands is I'll smoke a pipe with a vulcanite stem so it's easier to hold in my teeth.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I only smoke cigars when I am outside. I have a large smoking-room downstairs in my house. I don't really change my habits when I am inside other than switching to a pipe. I keep only 3-6 tobaccos in the house, so I don't get caught up in the I need to switch pipes because of the tobacco.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
If I smoked while doing various tasks, as many do, then this would make a lot of sense. I'm the kind of guy who'd have a system and a rationale.

But I don't. For me, pipes are for relaxing at the end of the day. So although I have some pipes dedicated to certain occasions, it's not on the basis of design/functionality.

Reactions: Chalaw87

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
It depends on how I feel on what type of pipe I smoke. I'll grab a churchwarden when I'm listening to music and doing nothing else but thinking. I'll pick up a straight pipe when I'm doing manual labor. A bent pipe is my go to for reading. When I'm with friends I'll usually smoke a cigar with them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't have much occasions to tailor my pipes to the occasions. I mean, there hasn't been a weddings in awhile. There were few funerals, but no one smokes but me. Can't really think of any other occasions. I heard black finished pipes are for the more formal occasions.