PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
20230806_154015.jpg
I use this sometimes in my tobacco blends. Dark as molasses. Taste is incredible. I don't always add it but sometimes if the crop is too acidic and I'm at the limit on what I want to add for DAC or Peri.

I was thinking something different would be discussed in this thread. I could think of a lot of different honeys id like to try.

Reactions: fightnhampster
I buy bulk raw honey for my meads. One supplier sets hives in certain agricultural areas to give me blueberry honey that fed off of blueberry blossoms. Knotweed, orange blossoms, cranberry, black locust, etc…
My favorite honey for mead is blueberry. The mead takes on so many bourbon notes and has crazy complexity.

It comes as this white chunk in a five gallon bucket, legs, beeparts and all.

None of my local beekeepers can give me as much honey as I need, so I have stopped trying to buy from them. Most do it because they are more interested in setting up a table at farmers markets and art shows than making money.

It’s funny. I love meads, but I can’t stand any honey on my foods. It’s just too cloyingly sweet for me. I do like to make baklava though. The nuts and butter really cuts the sweetness for me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you want a real treat, offer to help a beekeeper when they are extracting. There is a spicey, warm complexity to freshly uncapped honey that dissipates fairly quickly once it is exposed to the air. Getting a nice chunk of capped honeycomb will work just as well.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'm fortunate in the way that I'm very close to 2 professional beekeepers. One in the southern-most part of my state and one near me in the northern-most part. They also have hives in different areas of town, so the honey varies based on what plant varieties are near.

So far the best honey I've ever tasted is true Sourwood honey. Many companies will advertise their honey as Sourwood when in fact its more likely a spring bloom honey. Real sourwood honey tastes like you put a stick of butter in a pan with brown sugar. It's incredibly buttery and creamy. After trying it for the first time, I was quick to secure a case of the stuff once I found the real deal. And I plan to do so each year, as real Sourwood honey isn't easily bought - especially in larger quantities.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I buy bulk raw honey for my meads. One supplier sets hives in certain agricultural areas to give me blueberry honey that fed off of blueberry blossoms. Knotweed, orange blossoms, cranberry, black locust, etc…
My favorite honey for mead is blueberry. The mead takes on so many bourbon notes and has crazy complexity.

It comes as this white chunk in a five gallon bucket, legs, beeparts and all.

None of my local beekeepers can give me as much honey as I need, so I have stopped trying to buy from them. Most do it because they are more interested in setting up a table at farmers markets and art shows than making money.

It’s funny. I love meads, but I can’t stand any honey on my foods. It’s just too cloyingly sweet for me. I do like to make baklava though. The nuts and butter really cuts the sweetness for me.
We'll have to compare mead recipes. So far I only make mead in 1 gallon batches but I only use honey I buy from farmers markets or local beekeepers. I made a strawberry mead using honey from Springfield, LA and strawberries from a farm in the Springfield area. I have another mead using honey from Denham Springs and Louisiana blackberries. I waiting for the Satsumas to become available so I can make a Satsuma mead.

Local honey is always better than the honey you buy in stores. I recently read an article about how some of the honey in grocery stores is not 100% real honey. You also have to read the label to see where the honey is actually from. I picked up a bottle labeled as local honey and it was from a different state.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I have been a beekeeper for many years. The large apple orchard on the property with many variety’s of apples results in a unique honey. I can’t keep up with the demand from our farm stand. Lately I include part of the comb in the jars that has many health benefits. Raw honey will sugar up to a solid mass that most people think is spoilage. A slight hot water boil of the glass container will bring it back to liquid with out change of taste. Store chain honey is cut with corn syrup to prevent this . I add honey to tea and coffee as well as some tobacco.