PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
When I was a kid I put a lot of mustard on things, while at lunch. Mustard is one of the best chip dips I know of, it’s good on French fries, gives zest to school lunch soy burgers, it’s even good on bread as a mustard sandwich.

My friend Johnny once dared me to put mustard on my peaches.

Mustard on peaches is edible, just tolerable. Cottage cheese is better.

But watching me eat mustard on my peaches, made Johnny puke, and they got all mad at me, for making Johnny sick.

There just ain’t no justice in this world, I suppose.
I too like mustard on many things, Chips, French fries or roasted potatoes, meat of all sorts. Never tried it on peaches. Will put that on the list. Can't stand cottage cheese.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Actually, Marx didn’t wet the briar to grade them. If I remember correctly he put them in a vat of water with a specific gravity of 2.2 and measured their buoyancy. He chose the briar that was least buoyant. Look in one of you brochures that has the factory tour in it. It’s near the middle. For Marx, it was all about the density or specific gravity of the briar.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Actually, Marx didn’t wet the briar to grade them. If I remember correctly he put them in a vat of water with a specific gravity of 2.2 and measured their buoyancy. He chose the briar that was least buoyant. Look in one of you brochures that has the factory tour in it. It’s near the middle. For Marx, it was all about the density or specific gravity of the briar.

I didn’t know that.

Makes sense. Less air in briar, the denser.

The floaters are Mel-os and Morroccos and the sinkers are Big Boys and 400s

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
By 1946 Marx had learned how to market his high dollar pipes.

The $3.50 Mel-o, not cheap, but matching a Kaywoodie Drinkless, had the rough carving but it was stained with umber.

For $5 the customer got a smooth polished machine fraised pipe, made from selected Algerian briar.

The $5-$10 Benchmade was better carved than early on, and maybe with a little stain. They weren’t raw briar like my early Jumbo C, anyway.

IMG_7273.jpeg

Marx must have sold a whole lot of pipes, to pay for those full page color ads in national magazines.

With a Marxman, I think the neatest ones to accumulate are the $7.50 B and $10 C and $15 “Big Boy” sizes.

By the forties, they are still rugged, but extremely well made and well finished. The early ones, not so much.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
By 1946 Marx had learned how to market his high dollar pipes.

View attachment 292053

Marx must have sold a whole lot of pipes, to pay for those full page color ads in national magazines.
I will say this of Marx - he was the consummate marketeer.
To be able to convince people to part with their hard-earned for a fugly hunk of wood when there were better looking AND cheaper alternatives.

But isn’t that what advertising and marketing all about ? :rolleyes:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I will say this of Marx - he was the consummate marketeer.
To be able to convince people to part with their hard-earned for a fugly hunk of wood when there were better looking AND cheaper alternatives.

But isn’t that what advertising and marketing all about ? :rolleyes:

He snagged me, seventy years too late.:)

He was 29 years old in 1934 in the dead middle of the worst Depression anyone alive could remember.

In the highest wage and highest taxed city in the nation, he borrowed money to launch a new pipe factory when a smokable briar pipe was 25 cents and a really good one was a dollar.

And his first production looked like it was made by drunks under a bridge.

IMG_7260.jpeg

The $10 C size Jumbo Marxman was the highest priced factory pipe on earth until 1937 and Kaywwodie brought out $10 Flame Grains that for beauty of grain likely have never been topped.

So Marx made $15 huge pipes and $25 super enormous pipes, and sold a lot of em.

All day I smoke cherry cotton candy cavendish in beautful Lees, but when I’m done I want a Marxmsn with some real tobacco in it.

Why I can’t tell you, but Marx made nothing at all that isn’t a dynamite smoker.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

kbussell

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Highlands Ranch, CO
I follow the Marxman method more or less, except I like to use a tiny dab of honey, instead of saliva.
My new pipe ritual is to use a dab of honey in the bowl... Especially when it comes with a 'pre-coat', as I don't like the taste of that stuff. I have a dozen various model Savinelli pipes with 6mm balsa filters in rotation. I also like to load-up some of my favorite aromatics as first smokes, to give the bowl a good taste... Like Blood Red Moon or Hobbit Weed.

Reactions: Briar Lee
I don't do any of these. I just load my pipe and smoke it like I always do, and all of mine are... my favorite smokers, ha ha. But... I'm not going to tell someone that what they do is stupid. It's your pipe, and if you like to coat the bowl in mayonnaise, or smoke apple jack, or smear asphalt inside it... then, it's your pipe, you do what you enjoy doing. Although, I will probably make a good joke out of it to illicit a few giggles. Ha ha. But, I'm not telling anyone what to do. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.