SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 18, 2023
Though I have a general idea where my tastes are beginning to land but I'm also confused as I've tried blends with similar components and they ended up being basically the same tasting to me. Not mad or anything. I was wondering if there are people out there that never develop a nuance tasting skill even with time. Cause I feel like that I'm gonna be one of those. I see so many blends in one category or another and wonder why I need to bother with anything other then what I like already. I'm sure with time that may or may not change. who knows right?

Jan 18, 2023
You'll get there. Try some blending tobaccos on their own to try to get a feel for how they taste individually.
I know what Lat and Orientals tastes like. Because I smoke English's and Oriental forward blends. What I'm struggling to pick up is any support elements, such as VA or Burley in those. When I read a descriptive review I try and really hone in on those in the blend. And for all that struggling just cant at the moment hahaha

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Tastes don't always align. Some are more sensitive to flavor molecules that others aren't so don't be too frustrated if you're not tasting something that you read someone else is.
^ this, and taste can be wild.

Look no further than cilantro as a perfect example. To some, cilantro tastes citrusy while to others, it tastes like Ennerdale†.

OP, if you want to try to detect Virginia and burley in a blend, or what notes they add, you can try straight VA and straight burley blends to see how they taste on their own, but those may not translate to the blend... just like you need salt to bake cookies, but you don't taste the salt in them once they're done. Further complicating the issue is you'd need to try several to get what the baseline "Virginia" taste is, as different VAs taste different to each other by subtype (bright vs red/mature for example, or sun cured vs flue cured vs stoved, etc).

† That's a joke, because some people say Ennerdale tastes like soap, which is a common complaint of people that don't like cilantro. I realize that you (the OP) are maybe new to pipe tobacco and wouldn't catch that.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Just keep exploring. Things will almost certainly change for your palate.

You just might eventually become very surprised at not only which ones taste similar, but you'll delight in suddenly finding your personal distinguishing flavors in blends that become favorites for reasons unlike anyone else's palate.

Probably tasting a very wide and dis-similar group of blends will hasten the process as well.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
^ this, and taste can be wild.

Look no further than cilantro as a perfect example. To some, cilantro tastes citrusy while to others, it tastes like Ennerdale†.

OP, if you want to try to detect Virginia and burley in a blend, or what notes they add, you can try straight VA and straight burley blends to see how they taste on their own, but those may not translate to the blend... just like you need salt to bake cookies, but you don't taste the salt in them once they're done. Further complicating the issue is you'd need to try several to get what the baseline "Virginia" taste is, as different VAs taste different to each other by subtype (bright vs red/mature for example, or sun cured vs flue cured vs stoved, etc).

† That's a joke, because some people say Ennerdale tastes like soap, which is a common complaint of people that don't like cilantro. I realize that you (the OP) are maybe new to pipe tobacco and wouldn't catch that.
So you’re saying Ennerdale is flavored with cilantro?

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Another way of developing your palate is to take two blends that are almost identical, but one of them adds an extra component, or varies the levels of components, and note how the two are similar and different. Certain tobaccos can have a wildly different presentation based on what they're mixed with. Perique in one blend might present as more plum/fruit, but in another present as more spicy/peppery.

It comes with time and trying LOTS of blends.

You might never develop the ability to detect some of the nuances in some stuff, but if you don't, it's not a big deal as long as you're still enjoying what you are smoking.

And if you do develop the palate for those nuances, you may or may not enjoy hunting them. People that do reviews and spell out all the subtleties smoke many bowls of a blend and make notes along the way, they don't always get all those nuances in every bowl. And even then, sometimes they have to be hunted and sussed out. And if you do develop those tastes, you may not care about the fine details, you might prefer just the overall big picture of what it becomes when they're all combined and just get pleasure from the overall taste.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It’s almost a whisper. I suggest taking your mind away from the pipe and engage in reading a book (searching your phone, whatever) and just keep the pipe alive and allow the smoke to surround you. It becomes the sum of its parts.

If you have a hobby to engage in or work to do, concentrate on that and not the pipe. The flavor will find you.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It will come to you. You guy's Virginia smokes like a dream and another guy smoking the same blend will swear it is a nightmare. You don't think all the guys all the guys who are smoking Virginias, or English's, or Burleys, et al, all get the same flavor or are delusional.