Differences between Cringle Flake and Krampusnacht?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
So, I'm normally not a huge straight/dominant virginia fan, leaning more towards latakia and burley. That being said, I love Cringle Flake 2021... I've smoked it after aging a few months and I've smoked it after a couple of years. The smell of the bready/vinegary/fermented/tangy virginias is the exception for me... I absolutely love it. I've had a tin of Krampusnacht for a while and finally smoked it last weekend... it was an extreme disappointment. So bland and the flavors that were present are the exact reason I'm not a virginia fan most of the time. Other than the obvious lack of perique in the Krampusnacht, what are the major differences between the two tobaccos? I'm just puzzled as to why I find one so good and the other so forgettable. Will time make a difference? The Krampus reminded me a lot of Watch City's Simply Red... definitely not my cup of tea.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I bet the stoving of the Virginia in the 2021 Cringle accounts for some of difference you're tasting.

Also, if I recall correctly, the Virginia component in 2021's release also had a significant amount of bale age, something like 20 years, so maybe that's part of the equation too.

I haven't dug into my tin of Krampusnacht yet, but I'm under the impression it's the same lot of "decade old" red Virginia that's used in 2023's Cringle Flake. No cavendish process here, just blasted into a tin for the crabby people (like me) who wanted a straight red Virginia option.