PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Has anyone noticed a difference between the quality of the nic hit between Virginia and Burley? Besides strength - I'm talking about the quality/nature of the buzz.

I know some people say alcohol is alcohol, but I drank for many years and there is absolutely a difference between the buzz you get from beer, wine, and spirits. I have definitely noticed a difference between the buzz you get from tequila and say, single malt scotch.

There is a bunch of research on the different alcohol molecules produced by different fruits, such as apple verses grapes, verses peaches etc... but it's not research for the public domain, as I don't think anyone has reported on these to the medias. Maybe not enough interest or the media can't decipher the research. I know I can't understand most of what I have been sent on the winemaking forums.

but, there are different molecules of nicotine as well. Perique for instance changes the molecules in the fermentation process to something not even recognizable as nicotine, and has no effects, but it increases the absorption of nicotine from the other leaf it is blended with.

Flue curing decreases the PH of the leaf, making it less absorbable through the membranes of the capillaries in the mouth, but more absorbable in the lungs, thus there is no accident that it was the 1860's when flue cured, French papers, and inhaling cigarettes began to happen. But, burleys having a higher PH is more absorbable through the skin, small capillaries of the mouth, etc...

Aromatics... the toppings change the PH as well, making them less absorbable, even if they start with a burley. of course there are different types of aromatics, some may vary.

I have never gotten a noticeable buzz from Virginias, in fact, I don't really fell anything. Throughout the day as I clench and smoke as I work, I am just tasting... but I am aware that I am getting some nicotine, just not detectable amounts.
And, most burley blends that use lighter burleys, I get about the same. There are a few that I feel a slight kick, like PS Cube Cut but blends like MacBaren Golden Extra might as well be all Virginias, IMO.

But, the air cured, fermented burleys in some of the stronger blends do mellow me out quite a bit before bed... and add in the stronger leaf, like malawi and dark African Virginias (which are not a true Virginia, nor flue cured) and a blend can have a much larger kick.

But, everyone's body chemistry is different and reacts differently top the different molecules of nicotine. And, I believe that if we looked closer at the nicotine molecule, we'd find that there is some other differences between them, as they are discovering about alcohols.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I mostly smoke Virginias and milder blends but even when smoking stronger blends, I've rarely felt what I'd consider a buzz. There's something because I do get the feeling of contentment from smoking my pipe. That's fine, I'm not really looking for a buzz, just the satisfaction of having a very light craving satisfied.

I notice more of a nicotine buzz when I smoke burley. I prefer burley in the morning to get my heart started. There is only one Virginia that I get a buzz off of and that's G&H Dark Birdseye. I consider Dark Birdseye the Virginia cousin to 5 Brothers which is all burley.
I may be wrong, but I am guessing that it's not the Virginias that you feel in G&H Dark Birdseye. It is loaded with burley and dark fired. I also may be an outlier here, but I don't think the dark fired in this one is Kentucky. I think it's one of those Imperial dark fires. It doesn't have a Kentucky flavor at all to me.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I may be wrong, but I am guessing that it's not the Virginias that you feel in G&H Dark Birdseye. It is loaded with burley and dark fired. I also may be an outlier here, but I don't think the dark fired in this one is Kentucky. I think it's one of those Imperial dark fires. It doesn't have a Kentucky flavor at all to me.
I also think a lot of their VAs are from Africa (Malawi, etc.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One Forums member complained that a strong burley made him throw up. I think burley tends to have more kick, or a kick more noticeable. I think I'd get sick fast if I smoked very strong burley in a hard-puffing way, even though I don't generally react to nicotine in a blend smoked in an enjoyable slow way.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
This is one of the main reasons I smoke straight burley. The nicotine rush is "clean," immediate, and straightforward. When I smoke a virginia with some strength, like Royal Yacht, I feel the effects much more slowly, and the buzz is "dirty."

I'm like Ray47: I like dark bird's eye. Interesting to know that it does not contain as much Virginia as I thought, or that the Virginias are different in it. I believe I read somewhere in these forums that the virginia in dark birds eye and similar is not flue cured (?). Sometimes I think that it's the flue curing that I dislike--or sugars in tobacco in general, whether they are in the leaf or added.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
When I smoke a virginia with some strength, like Royal Yacht,
This one is definitely not a straight Virginia. It definitely has Imperial Virginias as well, which are not technically flue cure varieties as we know them. They are technically a tangy Burley, and I have no idea why they are called Virginias.
FWIW, Virginias aren't even a technical category, flue cured varieties is more accurate. There are only maybe four or five flue cured varieties that are produced commercially. And, there are quite a few burleys with Virginia in their varietal name. So, when selecting seed stock, you have to do a lot of research on what you need, especially if you are only familiar with different varieties as used on Pipe tobacco labels. Those are marketing terms, not really agricultural terms. There is a vast difference.

, like Royal Yacht, I feel the effects much more slowly, and the buzz is "dirty."
And, I agree on it being a dirty feeling. I suspect some of that comes from whatever swill concoction is topping that one. I bet it has all sorts of nasty stuff in it. The stronger aros seem to do this to me as well, like WarHorse.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
And, I agree on it being a dirty feeling. I suspect some of that comes from whatever swill concoction is topping that one. I bet it has all sorts of nasty stuff in it. The stronger aros seem to do this to me as well, like WarHorse.
Yeah ever since you mentioned this to me, I noticed it in War Horse Bar, and I find it nasty now. Definitely some chemicals in there. No thanks.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Horses for courses I guess, because I find that as soon as I light up up my morning capstan blue it goes my head in a split second.
Burley doesn't do much for me. and I don't like the toasty flavour.

Whoever thinks Virginia is weak, should try a good size bowl of GH Brown bogie.
If you can operate a keyboard afterwards, then tell me about it. ?