Did The Judgemental Fat Old Man In Red Underwear Leave You Good Boys A New Tabak Or Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Didn't have a ton of money this year, so I kept it pretty tight, but I got a new unfinished Savinelli Lumberman to replace the one I dropped and broke. Hope this replacement is as good a soldier as the old one. I also bought a Ropp Vintage Stout Zulu I'd been interested in. It's right up my alley in the sense that it's a small pipe overall, but has a good-sized chamber. Also added some tobacco, including C&D Billy Budd, Burley Flake #3 and Five O'Clock Shadow. Lagonda and Embarcadero by Pease, and some Irish Flake.

002-598-9627.7506.jpg

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
No pipe related gifts.
My son's gave me cigars (2 Gurka's & 2 AJ Fernandez's) about which I know next to nothing.

My wife gave a great WWII piece...

1609097906437.png

1609097928047.png

WWII British Blackout Lantern
MIN OF SUPPLY PATTERN PROV PAT NO 1420/41 CB B (? GB B)

"WWII British Kerosene Blackout Air Raid Lantern, Olive Drab Finish, 10 1/2" Tall, "Min. of Supply Pat / Prov. Pat. No. 1420/41 / C B / B" (or "GB" over "B"). "Pat" in text is actually "Pattern", but was not fully stamped.
These were originally issued by the British Ministry of Supply to mark safe locations during German air raids over British towns and cities, designed to be seen from the ground, but not seen from the air.
These lanterns were hung at air raid shelters during the War The cap over the top would prohibit the Germans from discovering the crosses as they flew overhead The side without a cross was hung against the shelter, and the other three sides with the crosses could be seen from any direction (except overhead) to guide those in need to the shelter."

I was unaware & have never seen one. Apparently similar Black Out lamps were produced with rectangular red panes which were hooded to cast light downward & preserve night vision.

I may "fire it up" after cleaning.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
While I was doing a little last minute shopping for stocking stuffers and the like, Thursday afternoon, I went into a local antique/consignment shop and bought this unused meerschaum pipe I'd noticed before. I know nothing about meerschaum pipes, so I don't know if this is junk or what. Looks sort of like a souvenir/junky thing to me, but it's pretty cool regardless. Can anyone tell me anything about it? (When it's from, if it's pure junk not, etc.) Just in case it's not really junk, I WON"T be selling it, so feel free to give me the straight dope.
View attachment 57395
Nice.

As Embers said, block meerschaum is the good stuff - 'composite' is basically rubbish; meerschaum dust mixed with glue, then pressed [If I understand it correctly]

I've got one just like yours; same design and stem.
Wish I could tell you it's a great smoker but it's stuck in a box somewhere.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Two tins of Cringle Flake. It used to be two tins of Christmas Cheer...bummer.
You got two tins of Cringle Flake [a blend that I'll not ever get to enjoy] and you think that's a ''bummer''?

Huh. You must be a glass half empty kind of guy.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You got the good stuff.? There appears to be a Collector's Choice meerschaum on Ebay at the moment. Says it's from the '60s.

I never knew that! LOL! Honey can you lick my pipe for me? LOL :ROFLMAO:

@Jeremia Johnson here’s the Wiki on Meerschaum.

Here’s also Fehmi Yavuz on Altinokpipes, a well respected Turkish Meerschaum carver, with a block of Meerschaum.

Enjoy, nice find! ?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Nah, the cheap old bastard forgot all about me.

He could make up for it by sprinkling some magic dust on my order of Vanilla Custard and 1Q that, according to tracking, is caught up in the system.

[And no, I should not be on the naughty list. It's a patriots duty to show utter contempt for unjust Nanny State laws puffy ]
The fat old bastard must have been listening; my order has cleared customs.

Gee thanks Santa [ya old bastard] Better late than never.

Jul 15, 2011
The fat old man in red garments didnt leave me squat this year, which is fine. Ever since I started working in retail I don't care much for christmas anyway. I did buy myself a record player that arrived banged up beyond recognition so I had to send it back, so go figure.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
You got two tins of Cringle Flake [a blend that I'll not ever get to enjoy] and you think that's a ''bummer''?

Huh. You must be a glass half empty kind of guy.
It is really good, but I was a bit sentimental about receiving that Christmas Cheer in my stocking...I'd had received it for close to twenty years. Why can you not enjoy Cringle Flake?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
It is really good, but I was a bit sentimental about receiving that Christmas Cheer in my stocking...I'd had received it for close to twenty years. Why can you not enjoy Cringle Flake?
Here in Nanny State Australia, a 50g tin is now over $120.

If one decides to test ones luck ordering tobacco from O/S, bulk/bagged blends have a much better chance of crossing the border without detection than tins.

A very kind forum friend sent me a package a couple of years back that contained a couple of ounces of Christmas Cheer and I'm really glad that she did.
Not only because it's a nice smoke but it put things into perspective for me.

Fans of CC rave about it like it's some kind of ambrosia.
It's a rather tasty Va but I wouldn't stab anyone for a tin. puffy