PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chperry01

Lurker
Apr 28, 2018
Wow. Now this is an old, think USENET, topic! This was argued many times in the 90s. I seem to remember the answer was no, but I could be wrong.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Every blend, doubtful, but certainly possible, and I couldn't care either way. In the event it was used on every blend, it was used masterfully, because the moisture levels of McClellands tobacco products have always been spot on in my experience; not too dry and not too moist fresh out of the tin, and a little on the dry side out of the aged tin. Masterful.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I only ask because someone made the statement in a derogatory manner on Facebook and now the argument continues. The antagonist said that Mike said they used it in every blend.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
If there’s PG in Dunhill Flake, MM965, Nightcap, EMP, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, OGS, Rattray Hal o’ The Wynd, Marlin Slices, Red Rapparee, etc. (there is, btw) then why not McClelland?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse said it.
What does anyone here (me included) really know about humectants? Someone said that they are bad and like lemmings, the cliff beckons.
Sheesh.

Oct 7, 2016
It is an ancient controversy, but back in the 1990's when it was a very lively topic the consensus that seemed to have formed was, to the best of my memory, that PG was used for the bulk "shop jar" aromatics, and not much, if at all, on everything else. The non aromatics do seem to often be packed a little on the moist side, but they will dry to a crisp in much less time than it would take an equivalent that had a significant presence of PG But keep in mind that PG can be used as an anti fungal as well as a humectant. (Vinegar can also be an anti fungal )
And also drawing from my memory of those times, Mike and Mary kind of stayed aloof from the whole controversy, so the best anyone could do was attribute statements to them. The principal agitator in the whole USENET controversy was a passionate advocate for Lake District blends who somehow felt called to trash McClelland. He drove Bob Hamlin, who was doing a booming business in releases by McClelland under the Pipe Collectors Club of America name, to distraction.

Oct 7, 2016
What does anyone here (me included) really know about humectants? Someone said that they are bad and like lemmings, the cliff beckons.
Well, for me, when I was messing around with cigar humidification stuff and was using PG, it kind of felt slick, like shop jar tobacco. Never did find any of them I liked, so I kind of _thought_ I knew something about humectants.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClellands did finer blends with or without PG than most other blenders with or without. So there's that.

Oct 7, 2016
Another good reason to avoid Facebook.

My thoughts exactly!
And there are lots of people on Facebook who don't like this or other forums. And on what used to be Reddit who avoid Facebook and forums. Hell, I remember people saying to avoid the CompuServe pipe group before there was even Usenet or the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.