12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reminded of a story my father used to tell about success...
A fisherman would go out early in the morning and catch two fish. One to sell and one he took home to feed family and friends, and then they would drink their way late into the evening singing and having fun. Then do it all over again the next day.
A businessman comes along and starts making suggestions to the fisherman on how to grow his business and be successful. Stay out later, catch three or four fish. Invest in more and bigger boats. Make more money...
The fisherman asks, "then what?"
The businessman says, "Then after years of hard work, You build a fleet of ships, you will be successful, and then you can stay up late drinking and singing with your friends."
The fisherman just looks confused and says, "I already have that. I am already successful." :puffy:
I grew up around and know lots of folks that you could call rich, wealthy. But, I wouldn't trade a single day to be these folks. It is a very rare thing to meet someone who is rich and is anything close to being a happy person.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know the essence of that story. The wealthiest I've ever felt was in school on the GI Bill living in a rented room in campus town with control of my time, a vast library in easy walking distance, the home ec cafeteria and student union for food, and fellow students for as much conversation as i wanted, and some fascinating faculty to study and study with. And dreams of potential astonishing success. That's rich. Meant both earnestly and ironically.

You need to expand your group of acquaintances or, friends ... people you know ... pick a term.
Hmmmm, it has been my experience that people that have a lot of money live in a different more defensive shell. They have to. Sure, not "all" wealthy. There is always an exception out there. But, for the most part, it is harder to get close to people, when you can never really be sure if they are in the moment with you because of the money. Nor, do the people trying to get close to them sure that they aren't there for the money.

It's pretty damn hard to make friends as you get older in general. But, throw in wealth, and things get harder. Marriage comes with it's own problems of possession. "Is she here because she wants to be, or because we are bound by law?" Add in money, and the internal question becomes bigger. This isn't anything new. It's the heart of saying like... "money can't buy happiness" etc...

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Rich with friends, family, having been blessed with things in life other than money, perhaps?

Thank you. :clap:
Meanwhile, I'm aware of people with a lot of money who are happy. They associate/hang out with other happy people who have a lot of money. Such people do exist.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Back to the topic ... anyone have any idea whether any of these pipemakers who rate four digit prices get to keep any/some/most of the revenue generated by their art product? (After typing this, I asked myself whether this is any of my damn business.)

Status
Not open for further replies.