PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am on duty and took a break to peruse some pipes on the internet. I found a pretty cool pipe on Cup o Joes. It is Here
I have to say I love the idea of this. I don't love it $800+ worth, but it IS pretty cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Design Berlin is an interesting outfit. I don't know how much of their pipe making is hand done. I think many of the pipes are done with great precision but on a factory model. I think many of them are 9 mm filter pipes. It distresses me that an $800 plus pipe wouldn't have a complete set of specification with it, though I'm sure COJ would supply them all on request, as they have on less expensive pipes for me in the past. I actually like the finish with the spot carving, but I find it a little incongruous at this price, since I associate it with modestly priced pipes like Jobey. The shape is a ball, which is a good standard one, but not wildly popular. I like the dimensions and balance. I guess if I were going to buy a factory pipe at this price, I'd go to a Dunhill and buy through a EU retailer for an additional price break, a thousand dollar pipe in U.S. for $800. Pros and cons.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree, Mso. German ingenuity on a factory pipe. When I was doing my quest for a spigot, they were always right on the horizon as the most reasonably priced one. It had a fluted bowl though and I never pulled the trigger.
My B&M got a box full of lower end db's last fall. They were nice but on par with Rossi and better than the newer Hardcastles.
For this pipe to be $800 I would have wanted it to be a tad bigger and have a bit more detail to the carving.
I did love the idea tho.
Another interesting pipe is the Amorelli Fertility. Those are fun as well and MUCH more reasonably priced.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Nice, but not $800 of nice. With mso489 I find the spot carving a little incongruous with a $800 pipe. Maybe just a personal idiosyncrasy, but my idiosyncrasy.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
This is a somewhat stylized carving of a globe, the view shown is of Southeast Asia and Australia, on the far left is the Arabian peninsula and the east edge of Africa. I've seen a couple on ebay over the years and they always bring high bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.