PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
The Faber, Coe and Gregg version of Brindley's Mixture was a drugstore tobacco that I liked very much.
It is long gone and while there is a Sutliff match, my understanding is that it is not even close to the old Brindley's.
I thought that deer tongue was part of Brindley's and gave it a very subtle ctrusy/vanilla-ish taste. I wonder if anyone can verify whether deer tongue was a Brindley's component?

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
In a recent post, several of us were lamenting the lack of Deer Tongue, aka Vanilla Leaf (not to be confused with vanilla bean) in the latest iteration of C&D’s Crooner.

You want something, you click, and it appears at your doorstep.
View attachment 274497
I’m preparing some clean mason jars - 4 ounces is a lot of DT!

This is a “love it or hate it” tobacco condiment, I know.

But no different from those who either “love or hate” (insert condiment) Perique or Latakia or Anise or Citrus etc.

Deer Tongue has a long and storied history with pipe tobacco dating back to our Native Americans.

Can anyone share some history of pipe blends that may have included this?

I’m definitely in the “love it” camp.
Nice! I just ordered a couple ounces to play with.

Reactions: Grangerous

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I am curious about "deer tongue" and what exactly it is and how it affects various blends. I did a search, found this thread and decided to read it and revive it.
I hear things like "vanilla leaf", "coumarin", etc. being tossed around and I am not exactly sure if it is even a type of tobacco or some type of herb? Also, does it have a powerful nicotine hit or none at all??

If it is strictly a vanilla type essence or flavor, then I probably won't care for it as I am not big into aromatics, in general, but just thought I would ask some of the "wizened heads" on the forum to expand a bit on this.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I am curious about "deer tongue" and what exactly it is and how it affects various blends. I did a search, found this thread and decided to read it and revive it.
I hear things like "vanilla leaf", "coumarin", etc. being tossed around and I am not exactly sure if it is even a type of tobacco or some type of herb? Also, does it have a powerful nicotine hit or none at all??

If it is strictly a vanilla type essence or flavor, then I probably won't care for it as I am not big into aromatics, in general, but just thought I would ask some of the "wizened heads" on the forum to expand a bit on this.

Your best bet is to just order an ounce of New Market or Engine 382 to try it.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

It's not tobacco but an herb. It has a vanilla like flavor.

Reactions: Choatecav

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Your best bet is to just order an ounce of New Market or Engine 382 to try it.
Crooner and Gentleman Caller have a much higher presence of it than New Market or Engine 382.

If it is strictly a vanilla type essence or flavor,
No vanilla, more herbal. Think baking spices or a type of wild mint.

Cobler

Lurker
Mar 3, 2024
I was reading Bull Durham business bonanza, 1866 - 1940 and it mentions an 1881 flavoring recipe of rum, tonka beans and deer tongue.

Not that we can readily sample it these days...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Crooner is not what it used to be. And Gentleman Caller is my favorite. Although you’d have to buy a tin instead of the cheaper alternative 1 oz.
They cut the deertongue content about a decade ago but Crooner is still a cube cut burley. Engine 382 is my favorite and default tobacco. Ive got about 40 pounds of that one put up.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
They cut the deertongue content about a decade ago but Crooner is still a cube cut burley. Engine 382 is my favorite and default tobacco. Ive got about 40 pounds of that one put up.

I’ve had the cubed version. The most recent I got in 2021 was ribbon and waay down on the deer tongue. Had to add my own

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
personally I love deer tongue. My old local had a blend called black magic that was not totally sure what leaf (it was all greek to me then, for years when I was told it was a Virginia blend I'd think who cares were they grew it [stupid teenagers]) but it was very dark rich and loaded with deer tongue. Damn that stuff was polarizing as people say. I mean not by smokers but by bystanders. It's very Vanilla like but not quite Vanilla it's rounder to my mind and slightly more subdued a little drier. And then something I can just describe as very herbal.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
personally I love deer tongue. My old local had a blend called black magic that was not totally sure what leaf (it was all greek to me then, for years when I was told it was a Virginia blend I'd think who cares were they grew it [stupid teenagers]) but it was very dark rich and loaded with deer tongue. Damn that stuff was polarizing as people say. I mean not by smokers but by bystanders. It's very Vanilla like but not quite Vanilla it's rounder to my mind and slightly more subdued a little drier. And then something I can just describe as very herbal.
Great story and description.
I loved the comment about early on hearing about Virginia blend and thinking who cares where it was grown. I remember thinking something similar to that years ago. "Virginia, Kentucky, Turkish".... big freakin' deal. ha

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Intriguing thread. I picked up a couple ounces of DT to try while blending nearly a decade ago and didn't care for it, so it got jarred up and put away. Reading through this made me wonder whether or not this would still be my experience. I'm a firm believer in trying things more than once. So I dug out my jar and added a pinch to a small bowl's worth of Pegasus, threw it in a tasting clay and gave it another run. To my surprise, this time around I found it much more pleasant.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma and had chemotherapy. After attaining remission, I noticed that my tastes had changed to some degree. So this was part of an on-going experience of giving past dislikes a second chance. Now, all credit to reading this and getting me thinking, there is a new blending element in my arsenal.

Thanks for the inspiration! ;)