PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
In a recent post, several of us were lamenting the lack of Deer Tongue, aka Vanilla Leaf (not to be confused with vanilla bean) in the latest iteration of C&D’s Crooner.

You want something, you click, and it appears at your doorstep.
1703776320273.jpeg
I’m preparing some clean mason jars - 4 ounces is a lot of DT!

This is a “love it or hate it” tobacco condiment, I know.

But no different from those who either “love or hate” (insert condiment) Perique or Latakia or Anise or Citrus etc.

Deer Tongue has a long and storied history with pipe tobacco dating back to our Native Americans.

Can anyone share some history of pipe blends that may have included this?

I’m definitely in the “love it” camp.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve never tasted it but was somehow aware of its existence. Has it always been condimental or ever smoked by itself?
No. Well, maybe 🤔 the Indians did, whose to say? But, no.. it’s not tobacco. It’s an herb with a fragrant floral vanilla mint flavor and scent and a little of this goes a loooong way. As in Crooner.

I always say that Crooner is one of those “must try’s” because you may love it or you may not, but it’s worth finding out.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
C&D has four blends with Deertounge, including Crooner, Gentleman Caller, Engine 382, and New Market. I am unaware of any other blends, but am looking forward to hearing about them (and maybe some history).
I’ve had all you mention except for New Market. Crooner is my personal favorite among those. But I lean toward less aromatic blends. I understand Gentleman Caller is extremely popular.

On edit: I recall reading somewhere that Gentleman Caller is as close a modern representation of the old Half n Half which used to contain Deer Tongue

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Not sure, but the old Tinderbox Number 2 blend may have contained some. Sweet Oriental from Rich's cigar store did and I had Steve Books add a little more to create a kind of dessert version which was quite good. I got some from Craig Tarler and tried adding it myself, but it didn't work at all. Ended up with a horrible soapy taste.

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
It’s time! I’ve jarred a carefully measured blend of Granger-Deer Tongue at a ratio of ten parts to one.
1703862322364.jpeg
I’m going to let these flavors meld and enjoy a bowl. I’ll keep you posted!

It no longer a smells like Granger. It smells like Crooner.

However, side by side I can tell the difference between the C&D Burley and the Granger.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I wonder whether tobaccos have actual Deer Tongue in them, or whether it's an extract, for example an alcohol reduction of Deer Tongue essence that is sprayed on the tobacco.

For example, the so-called "Lakeland essence" contains extracts of various herbs and twigs that you wouldn't necessarily want to smoke.

Just a thought.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I wonder whether tobaccos have actual Deer Tongue in them, or whether it's an extract, for example an alcohol reduction of Deer Tongue essence that is sprayed on the tobacco.

For example, the so-called "Lakeland essence" contains extracts of various herbs and twigs that you wouldn't necessarily want to smoke.

Just a thought.
No. You can actually see and pick through the Crooner for the actual green flakes of DT.

But the latest iterations from C&D have really cut back.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Half n Half had it. I have some old Half n Half. You can still taste it.

Half and Half was originally half of a popular cut plug and half Lucky Strike formula for cigarette tobacco.

My first package of Half and Half in 1971 and the ones I bought last month smell and taste exactly the same, except the new formula is pressed into a sort of tobacco candy bar shape.

It still has coumarin, whether from natural deer tongue or whatever source.

Coumarin was banned as a food additive in 1954 but the government has never banned smoking it or using it to flavor booze. You can’t put it in kid’s breakfast cereal. He’ll have to grow up to smoke or drink it.:)

Reactions: Kobold