PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I bought a Peterson's tobacco pouch and haven't used it yet. Do they retain flavor from the tobacco and taint the next fill of a different blend? Do you have pouches dedicated to types of blends, or do you simply fill it with whatever you like, regardless of what was in it previously?

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
I don't believe that a rubber lined pouch would get tainted. If you've had something really colorful inside maybe let it air out a bit before refilling with something else

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I have a pouch one for English; one for Virginias; and one for Aromatics. Yes if you sniff the pouches for each one you can tell which one it is used for.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a Brigham leather tobacco pouch with a rubber (latex?) Liner that I use for day trips or travelling. I use the one pouch for all different blends. I do notice a slight scent of whatever tobacco was in there last but have not had a problem with the flavour carrying over to the next blend. I do make sure not to store any tobacco in there long term as well. :puffy:

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Put your baccy in a plastic bag then in the rubber sleeve, that way you know it wont leave anything behind. That is what I do

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You won't have that problem with the Official PipesMagazine.com Five Chambered Tobacco Pouch!

It's waterproof, and features separate chambers for more variety while smoking on the go.

Kevin thought-up the concept during a routine prostate exam. That guy is always thinking. Go figure!

Latexglove.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
My experience is they are much like pipes. I purchased a small gourd calabash off of e-bay that came with a pigskin pouch. The pouch was lined. Not sure what the baccy was but it reeked! Pipe and pouch both were heavily ghosted. I would dedicate pouches between anything you believe would ghost your pipe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I of course only use my pouch outside the house. 95% of the smoking that I do outside is in the car. Given that I'm driving, my attention, including my tasting, is less than when I'm at the computer, and much less than when I'm smoking while being entertained by videos or music. So I only have one pouch, and when it's empty, I refill it, not caring about any flavor hit the new tobacco might take from the old. While driving I'm not going to notice. Indoors I am a lot more particular by dedicating pipes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I use a pouch occasionally but for the most part, just leave a couple of tins on my car seat, and maybe a bail jar. I've never noticed pouch ghosts but I do know the best made are still lousy at keeping tobacco fresh.JMHO

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I haven't used any pouches yet. Still looking for a good one that I like. I do remember when I was a wee lad that I came upon my Grandfather's wallet (at least I thought it was), and emptied what looked to be dirt and a lot of it. I was so proud and I was egar to show off my results to him, so I ran up and showed him. That was the worst and only wippin I received from him! He was not very happy with my doings! Little did I know that it was his tobacco pouch. :oops:

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
This past weekend I finally used the pouch I'd gotten. I filled it with Nightcap. It sure was convenient standing outdoors with others in a long conversation, filling and refilling a Cob. It also made filling that same pipe while driving home easier than it would have been otherwise. If the pouch taints other tobacco with the flavor of Nightcap I won't mind, since now I'm focused on English blends. Lighting up outdoors with a Djeep butane wasn't as easy as indoors, so I'll remember next time to have a Zippo with me. Also: short goodbyes turn lengthy in sunny weather, so next time, I'll fire up a Briar.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The mother in law bought me a leather tobacco roll up pouch for my birthday. It took maybe 4 or 5 re fills before it stopped smelling like whatever used to be in it. I basically only smoke one tobacco now, so it's no longer an issue for me.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
You and your Carter Hall are well on your way to "old codger" status, didimauw!

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
That's a good question I purchased a pouch made by 4th generation. So far I have only placed black frigate in it which is probably not the best choice as it has a very pungent tin note. However, I would guess that it would be wise to at least dedicate a pouch for Varangia blend and vaper blends only.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Ive been trying to find a forum member that makes nice pouches but no one has hit me up. Sorringowl does but I can't afford his stuff! Its freaking amazing though!! One day I will have some of his products(I hope) :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I also have a 4th Generation rollup pouch, lined with, I think, latex. Use it only for travel that is not in my car. Back from a two week trip, I turned it inside out, sponged off the rubber, let it air dry, and it's ready for the next one. No residual I can make out by smell or sight.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I am too looking for a pouch. I can find loads and loads of pipes "pockets" but it seems more difficult to find tobacco pouches.

Would you guys have some advice ? Not really in terms of brand though it cand always be useful, but more about the thing I want to have in a tobacco pouch?

Do they come in "combos" one pouch in which to put pipes, tools and tobacco ?

Status
Not open for further replies.